Around the Majors: Schilling, Gagne go on the DLby Lee Sinins
April 02, 2005
1) The Redsox placed Ps Curt Schilling and Wade Miller and OF Adam Stern on the 15 day DL. Schilling is retroactive to March 26, the others March 25.
Schilling is tentatively scheduled to return against the Yankees on April 13. After 3.23 ERA/36 RSAA and 2.95 ERA/34 RSAA seasons, he had a 3.26 ERA/42 RSAA in 32 starts. Schilling has a 3.32 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.22, and 327 RSAA in 482 games.
Miller has a strained shoulder. After 3.28 ERA/19 RSAA and 4.13 ERA/7 RSAA seasons, he had a 3.35 ERA/10 RSAA in 15 starts with the Astros. Miller has a 3.87 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.33, and 56 RSAA in 127 games.
Stern has a broken right thumb.
2) The Dodgers placed P Eric Gagne on the 15 day DL.
Gagne has a sprained elbow. After 1.97 ERA/16 RSAA and 1.20 ERA/26 RSAA seasons, he had a 2.19 ERA/18 RSAA in 70 games. Gagne has a 3.29 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.37, and 44 RSAA in 282 games.
3) The Devil Rays re-signed LF Carl Crawford to a 4 year, $15.25 million contract, covering 2005-08, with options for 2009-10.
After starting his career with -9 RCAA/.661 OPS and -11 RCAA/.671 OPS seasons, Crawford hit .450 SLG, .331 OBA, .781 OPS, 14 RCAA in 152 games. He has a .715 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and -6 RCAA in 366 games.
4) The Yankees sent INFs Russ Johnson, Damian Rolls and Felix Escalona, OF Colin Porter, Cs Joe DePastino and Wil Nieves and Ps Alex Graman, Aaron Small and Scott Proctor to the minors.
5) The Marlins sent INF Wilson Delgado and OF Mark Little to the minors and placed Ps John Riedling and Tim Spooneybarger on the 15 day DL.
Riedling has a strained muscle behind his shoulder. After 2.70 ERA/9 RSAA and 4.90 ERA/-7 RSAA seasons, he had a 5.10 ERA/-10 RSAA in 70 games. Riedling's spent his whole career with the Reds and has a 4.13 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.29, and 3 RSAA in 200 games.
Riedling almost set the Reds record for most games in a season by a pitcher with a double digit negative RSAA--
GAMES YEAR G RSAA 1 Scott Sullivan 2002 71 -14 2 John Riedling 2004 70 -10 3 Scott Sullivan 1998 67 -10 T4 Manny Sarmiento 1978 63 -10 T4 Tony Mullane 1886 63 -26 6 Pedro Borbon 1978 62 -14 7 Dale Murray 1977 61 -12 8 Ben Hayes 1983 60 -21 9 Dave Tomlin 1978 57 -14 10 Will McEnaney 1976 55 -10
Spooneybarger is recovering from Tommy John surgery. He missed the entire 2004 season and has a 3.24 ERA/10 RSAA in 88 career games.
6) The Mets sent 1B Luis Garcia, OF Ron Calloway and Ps Heath Bell and Jose Santiago to the minors and released C Kelly Stinnett.
7) The Mariners claimed INF Wilson Valdez off waivers from the Mets.
The Mets have just claimed him off waivers from the Whitesox.
8) The Nationals sent INF Carlos Baerga to the minors.
Baerga has -6 RCAA/.757 OPS in 1537 career games.
9) The Phillies added INF Jose Offerman to the 40 man roster.
10) The BlueJays released P Kerry Ligtenberg and placed P Ted Lilly on the 15 day DL, retroactive to March 25.
Ligtenberg has a 3.57 ERA/35 RSAA in 379 career games, including a 6.38 ERA/-9 RSAA in 57 games in 2004.
Lilly has shoulder tendinitis. After 3.68 ERA/8 RSAA and 4.34 ERA/-2 RSAA seasons, Lilly had a 4.06 ERA/19 RSAA in 32 starts. He has a 4.49 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.55, and 6 RSAA in 128 games.
11) The Royals placed 3B Chris Truby and P Scott Sullivan on the 15 day DL.
Truby has a broken wrist. He has -44 RCAA/.657 OPS in 263 career games and didn't play in the majors in 2004.
Sullivan has back pain. After 6.06 ERA/-14 RSAA and 3.66 ERA/5 RSAA seasons, he had a 4.77 ERA/-2 RSAA in 49 games. Sullivan has a 3.98 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.39, and 42 RSAA in 558 games.
12) The A's extended GM Billy Beane's contract through 2012 and gave him a small ownership stake in the team.
13) The Pirates released OF Ben Grieve, placed P John Van Benschoten on the 60 day DL and sent OF Chris Duffy and C Ryan Doumit to the minors.
14) The Tigers sent Ps Gary Knotts and Steve Colyer to the minors.
15) The Mariners placed P Rafael Soriano on the 60 day DL.
Soriano is recovering from Tommy John surgery. He has a 3.30 ERA/12 RSAA in 56 career games, including a 13.50 ERA/-3 RSAA in 6 games in 2004.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to help support them, please check out my new bookstore. I have actual inventory and this is not an affiliate program. The bookstore includes World Series DVDs, video tapes, books and other items. All proceeds will go towards supporting the ATM reports and keeping them going. http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com/bookstore.htm