Around the Majors: Tigers release Sanchezby Lee Sinins
March 16, 2005
1) The Tigers released CF Alex Sanchez, placed 2B Fernando Vina on the 60 day DL and sent 1B Chris Shelton, 2B Ryan Raburn, INF Jack Hannahan, OFs Curtis Granderson and Byron Gettis, Cs Brandon Harper, Mike Rabelo and Maxim St. Pierre and Ps Kenny Baugh, Mark Woodyard, Preston Larrison, Justin Verlander, Mike Bynum, Nelson Cruz, Matt Roney and Andrew Good to the minors.
After -3 RCAA/.701 OPS and -15 RCAA/.681 OPS seasons, Sanchez had a .386 SLG, .335 OBA, .721 OPS, -7 RCAA in 79 games. He has a .691 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and -30 RCAA in 365 games.
Vina has knee problems and hasn't played since last May. His agent says he'll miss the entire season and his career is in jeopardy. After -14 RCAA/.670 OPS and -8 RCAA/.691 OPS seasons, Vina had a .270 SLG, .308 OBA, .577 OPS, -9 RCAA in 29 games. He has a .728 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and -56 RCAA in 1148 games.
2) Tests on Orioles P Kurt Ainsworth's shoulder shows a torn labrum, a partial tear of the rotator cuff and a divot in the glenoid fossa. If he needs surgery, he'll miss the entire 2005 season. Also, Ainsworth is considering retirement if that happens.
Ainsworth has a 5.19 ERA/-13 RSAA in 29 career games, including a 9.68 ERA/-17 RSAA in 7 starts in 2004.
3) On Sunday, Dwight Gooden was arrested on domestic violence charges, with the alleged victim being a girlfriend and mother of one of his children.
Gooden had a 3.51 career ERA, compared to his league average of 3.96, and 105 RSAA in 430 games from 1984-2000.
4) Vida Blue was arrested on DWI charges.
Blue had a 3.26 career ERA, compared to his league average of 3.68, and 89 RSAA in 502 games from 1979-86 (excluding 1984).
5) The Twins say P Grant Balfour will start the season on the DL.
Balfour has pain in his forearm. He has a 4.63 ERA/0 RSAA in 55 career games, including a 4.35 ERA/2 RSAA in 36 games in 2004.
6) The Whitesox sent 1B Casey Rogowski, OFs Jerry Owens and Chris Young, Cs Raul Casanova and Gustavo Molina and Ps Jeff Bajenaru, Arnie Munoz, Matt Smith, Kris Honel and Paulino Reynoso to the minors.
7) The Cubs sent INF Michael Fontenot and Ps John Koronka and Russ Rohlicek to the minors.
8) The Rangers added 1B Greg Colbrunn to the 40 man roster, designated 2B Jason Bourgeois for assignment and sent 1B Jason Botts and Ps Nick Massett and Josh Rupe to the minors.
Colbrunn, who has only played in 42 games over the past 2 years, has 11 RCAA/.799 OPS in 992 career games.
9) The Mets sent OFs Ambiorix Concepcion, and OF Angel Pagan, C Mike Jacobs and Ps Matt Lindstrom, LHP Blake McGinley and Juan Padilla to the minors.
10) The A's sent OF Jason Perry to the minors.
11) The Brewers sent OF Brad Nelson and Ps Luis Pena and Jeff Housman to the minors.
12) The Giants sent OFs Fred Lewis and Daniel Ortmeier, C Justin Knoedler and Ps Merkin Valdez, David Aardsma, Brian Burres, Alfredo Simon, Erick Threets, Brandon Villafuerte, Armando Almanza and Matt Cain to the minors.
13) The Astros sent C Hector Gimenez and Ps Taylor Buchholz, Mark McLemore, Fernando Nieve and Juan Gutierrez to the minors.
14) The Rockies sent 2B Jayson Nix, SS Tim Olson, OFs Jeff Salazar and Tony Miller and Ps Juan Morillo, Ubaldo Jimenez, Chris Narveson, Mike Esposito and Justin Hampson to the minors.
15) The Braves sent SS Luis Hernandez and P Macay McBride to the minors.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.