Around the Majors: Trade rumorsby Lee Sinins
July 26, 2004
1) According to NY Newsday, as part of a Randy Johnson trade, the Yankees might be willing to take on the contracts for Roberto Alomar and Matt Mantei and then just release them.
2) According to the Chicago Sun Times, the Pirates are getting close to trading P Kris Benson to the Twins for 1B Doug Mientkiewicz and maybe a prospect.
3) The Padres passed the Giants into sole possession of 2nd place in the NL West.
4) Carlos Delgado passed Ron Cey and tied George Brett for 88th place on the all time HR list, with 317.
5) The Rangers placed DH Brad Fullmer and P Doug Brocail on the 15 day DL, sent P Rosman Garcia to the minors, designated P John Wasdin for assignment, activated 1B Herbert Perry and P Jeff Nelson from the DL, activated P Joaquin Benoit from the bereavement list and called up P Erasmo Ramirez.
Fullmer has a sore right knee. After 26 RCAA/.888 OPS and 13 RCAA/.887 OPS seasons, he's off to a .442 SLG, .310 OBA, .752 OPS, -11 RCAA start in his first 76 games. Fullmer has a .822 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and 27 RCAA in 807 games.
Brocail has shoulder and hamstring injuries. After injuries kept him out of the majors for the past 3 years, he has a 8.22 ERA/-8 RSAA in 22 games. Brocail has a 4.04 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.42, and 20 RSAA in 360 games.
Wasdin has a 5.37 ERA/-32 RSAA in 269 career games, including a 7.65 ERA/-10 RSAA in 6 starts (8 games) in 2004.
After -5 RCAA/.813 OPS and -3 RCAA/.375 OPS (just 11 games) seasons, Perry is hitting .402 SLG, .311 OBA, .712 OPS, -5 RCAA in his first 40 games. He has a .775 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -28 RCAA in 520 games.
After 3.94 ERA/1 RSAA and 3.74 ERA/4 RSAA seasons, Nelson is off to a 5.14 ERA/0 RSAA start in his first 15 games. He has a 3.35 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.59, and 96 RSAA in 729 games.
Ramirez has a 4.19 ERA/7 RSAA in 57 career games, including a 4.88 ERA/1 RSAA in 23 games in 2004.
6) The Devil Rays released 1B Fred McGriff. McGriff had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on July 17.
7) Astros P Andy Pettitte had to leave yesterday's game, due to a sore elbow.
After 3.27 ERA/16 RSAA and 4.02 ERA/8 RSAA seasons, Pettitte is off to a 4.11 ERA/3 RSAA start in his first 13 starts. He has a 3.95 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.68, and 133 RSAA in 296 games.
8) The Diamondbacks 14 game losing streak ended. The streak included a major league record 0-11 homestand.
9) The Orioles activated OF B.J. Surhoff from the DL and sent OF Darnell McDonald to the minors.
After -1 RCAA/.729 OPS (just 25 games) and 4 RCAA/.758 OPS seasons, Surhoff is hitting .438 SLG, .377 OBA, .815 OPS, 2 RCAA in his first 41 games. He has a .749 career OPS, compared to his league average of .756, and -11 RCAA in 2163 games.
McDonald is off to a .278 SLG, .300 OBA, .578 OPS, -1 RCAA in his first 7 career games.
10) Twins 2B Nick Punto broke his right collarbone yesterday.
Punto has -10 RCAA/.599 OPS in 115 career games, including a .319 SLG, .340 OBA, .658 OPS, -3 RCAA in 38 games in 2004.
11) Mariners P Joel Pineiro has a strained right elbow and will be placed on the DL this week. The team feared he needed season ending surgery, but are now hoping he's only going to be out for 4-6 weeks.
After 3.24 ERA/19 RSAA and 3.78 ERA/15 RSAA season, Pineiro is off to a 4.67 ERA/-8 RSAA start in his first 21 starts. He has a 3.66 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 42 RSAA in 115 games.
12) The Reds placed utilityman Jason Romano on the 15 day DL and called up SS Felipe Lopez.
Romano will have season ending surgery on a torn hamstring today. He has -14 RCAA/.487 OPS in 110 career games, including a .235 SLG, .194 OBA, .430 OPS, -3 RCAA in 26 games in 2004 (first 4 with the Devil Rays).
After -11 RCAA/.673 OPS and -11 RCAA/.612 OPS seasons, Lopez has a .188 SLG, .163 OBA, .351 OPS, -6 RCAA in his first 19 games. He has a .647 career OPS, compared to his league average of .764, and -34 RCAA in 212 games.
13) The Phillies placed P Ryan Madson on the 15 day DL and called up P Josh Hancock.
Madson has a right hand injury. Madson has a 2.00 ERA/16 RSAA in 40 career games, including a 2.07 ERA/15 RSAA in 39 games (1 start) in 2004.
Hancock has a 6.75 ERA/-5 RSAA in 7 career games, including a 11.57 ERA/-6 RSAA in 2 starts in 2004.
14) The Brewers called up newly acquired OF-3B Russell Branyan and designated OF Chris Magruder for assignment.
Magruder has -18 RCAA/.624 OPS in 127 career games, including a .154 SLG, .313 OBA, .466 OPS, -1 RCAA in 14 games (16 PA) in 2004.
15) The Padres activated C Ramon Hernandez from the DL and sent C Humberto Quintero to the minors.
After -20 RCAA/.648 OPS and 6 RCAA/.789 OPS seasons, Hernandez is hitting .420 SLG, .338 OBA, .758 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 56 games. He has a .725 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -40 RCAA in 651 games.
Quintero has -5 RCAA/.639 OPS in 30 career games, including a .397 SLG, .304 OBA, .701 OPS, -3 RCAA in 18 games in 2004.
16) Redsox RF Trot Nixon says his quad injury could be a season ender.
A similar injury kept him out for 6 weeks earlier in the season and he says this one is "by far" worse.
17) Diamondbacks P Brandon Villafuerte became a free agent when he refused an assignment, from over the weekend, to the minors.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see