Around the Majors: Trade rumorsby Lee Sinins
July 27, 2004
1) According to the Bergen Record, Randy Johnson has told the Diamondbacks that, if they are going to trade him to the Yankees, he'd prefer that they do it in time for him to make his Friday start in pinstripes.
2) Twins 1B Doug Mientkiewicz is reportedly no longer part of the trade talks regarding Pirates P Kris Benson.
3) Diamondbacks CF Steve Finley says he won't waive his no trade clause to go to an eastern team.
4) According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Marlins have increased their interest in Rockies RF Larry Walker, while the Dodgers are also interested.
5) According to the Detroit Free Press and SF Chronicle, the Giants are interested in Tigers P Ugueth Urbina.
6) According to the Tampa Tribune, the Mets and Rangers are interested in Devil Rays P Victor Zambrano.
7) Cubs GM Jim Hendry is denying rumors that he's interested in an Armando Benitez for prospects Angel Guzman and Felix Pie trade.
8) Benitez has been out of action since last Thursday and isn't expected to be available until tomorrow, at the earliest, due to an inflamed elbow. An MRI was negative and manager Jack McKeon says it's not serious enough for Benitez to go on the DL.
After 2.27 ERA/12 RSAA and 2.96 ERA/11 RSAA seasons, he's off to a 1.25 ERA/16 RSAA start in his first 44 games. Benitez has a 2.89 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.49, and 102 RSAA in 608 games.
9) According to the Miami Herald, the Marlins are interested in Reds LF Adam Dunn.
10) According to the Tampa Tribune, the Yankees may be interested in Devil Rays 1B Tino Martinez.
11) Gary Sheffield hit his 400th career HR and passed Al Kaline into 38th place on the all time HR list.
After 36 RCAA/.916 OPS and 72 RCAA/1.023 OPS seasons, Sheffield is hitting .521 SLG, .399 OBA, .920 OPS, 21 RCAA in his first 95 games. He has a .928 career OPS, compared to his league average of .758, and 586 RCAA in 1977 games.
Sheffield became the 5th player to reach 400 HR with the Yankees, joining Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle and Reggie Jackson.
12) Alex Rodriguez passed Ralph Kiner and tied Gil Hodges for 58th place on the all time HR list, with 370.
13) The Astros passed the Reds into 3rd place in the NL Central.
14) The Pirates passed the Brewers into 5th place in the NL Central.
15) The Giants moved into a virtual tie, with the Padres, for 2nd place in the NL West. The Padres lead in PCT.
16) Sammy Sosa watch--hit #560, is 3 behind Reggie Jackson for 8th place on the all time HR list.
17) Marlins 3B Mike Lowell set the team record for career HR.
After 13 RCAA/.816 OPS and 22 RCAA/.881 OPS seasons, Lowell is hitting .562 SLG, .382 OBA, .944 OPS, 31 RCAA in his first 99 games. He has a .829 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and 76 RCAA in 780 games.
The new top 10--
HOMERUNS 1 Mike Lowell 130 2 Derrek Lee 129 3 Gary Sheffield 122 T4 Jeff Conine 110 T4 Cliff Floyd 110 6 Preston Wilson 104 7 Charles Johnson 75 8 Alex Gonzalez 67 9 Kevin Millar 59 10 Greg Colbrunn 45
Lowell ranks 3rd vs. the league average--
HOMERUNS DIFF PLAYER LEAGUE 1 Gary Sheffield 68 122 54 2 Cliff Floyd 39 110 71 3 Mike Lowell 37 130 93 4 Derrek Lee 36 129 93 5 Preston Wilson 31 104 73 6 Jeff Conine 26 110 84 T7 Charles Johnson 12 75 63 T7 Miguel Cabrera 12 34 22 T9 Kevin Millar 10 59 49 T9 Greg Colbrunn 10 45 35
18) The Angels placed P Jarrod Washburn on the 15 day DL, retroactive to July 21, called up OF Curtis Pride and, to make room for Pride on the 40 man roster, first called up P Bobby Jenks and then immediately placed him on the 60 day DL.
Washburn has an inflamed ligament in his left ribcage. After 3.15 ERA/27 RSAA and 4.43 ERA/-5 RSAA seasons, he is off to a 4.83 ERA/-6 RSAA start in his first 19 starts. Washburn has a 4.07 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.58, and 47 RSAA in 158 games.
Pride, whose 4 games with the 2003 Yankees are in his only time in the majors since 2001, has -8 RCAA/.744 OPS in 353 career games.
19) The Indians designated minor league P Jeriome Robertson for assignment and activated P Brian Tallet from the DL and sent him to the minors.
20) The Twins placed 2B Nick Punto on the 15 day DL and called up SS Jason Bartlett.
Punto has a broken collarbone and is probably out for the rest of the season.
21) The A's designated 1B Eric Karros for assignment and activated P Chris Hammond from the DL.
After -1 RCAA/.722 OPS and -1 RCAA/.786 OPS seasons, Karros is off to a .311 SLG, .243 OBA, .554 OPS, -9 RCAA start in his first 40 games. He has a .779 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and 47 RCAA in 1755 games.
22) The Mariners placed P Joel Pineiro on the 15 day DL and called up SS Ramon Santiago.
Pineiro has a strained elbow.
After starting his career with -6 RCAA/.671 OPS and -27 RCAA/.576 OPS seasons, Santiago is off to a .190 SLG, .280 OBA, .470 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 10 games.
23) The Brewers re-signed P Doug Davis to a 2 year contract extension for a guaranteed $4.75 million, which could increase to $5.95 million.
After 4.98 ERA/0 RSAA and 4.03 ERA/8 RSAA seasons, Davis is off to a 3.99 ERA/4 RSAA start in his first 22 starts. He has a 4.61 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.50, and 1 RSAA in 115 games.
24) Yankees P Orlando Hernandez had to leave yesterday's game, after 2 innings, due to tightness in his left hamstring.
After missing the 2003 season, Hernandez is off to a 2.37 ERA/4 RSAA start in his first 4 starts. He has a 4.00 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 53 RSAA in 128 games.
25) The Marlins called up P Aaron Small and sent utilityman Josh Willingham to the minors.
Small has a 5.26 ERA/-16 RSAA in 141 career games, but just 3 after 1998, with a 5.06 ERA/-1 RSAA in 2 games in 2004.
Willingham is off to a .320 SLG, .310 OBA, .630 OPS, -2 RCAA start in his first 12 career games.
26) Mets OF Shane Spencer was arrested on DUI charges, after being caught driving 96 MPH.
Earlier in the week, Spencer had been placed on the DL, after cutting his foot on a piece of glass in a bar.
27) Brewers 2B Junior Spivey may need season ending shoulder surgery.
He's been on the DL since July 2, after injuring himself diving headfirst into 1st base.
28) Rockies 2B Luis Gonzalez and SS Royce Clayton had to leave yesterday's game, after collided with each other, although neither had to leave immediately. Later in the game, C Todd Greene had to leave, due to a pulled right hamstring.
Gonzalez is off to a .405 SLG, .289 OBA, .694 OPS, -21 RCAA start in his first 66 career games.
After -14 RCAA/.661 OPS and -36 RCAA/.634 OPS seasons, Clayton is off to a .421 SLG, .346 OBA, .767 OPS, -20 RCAA start in his first 95 games. He has a .684 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and -252 RCAA in 1700 games.
After -2 RCAA/.862 OPS and -12 RCAA/.677 OPS seasons, Green is off to a .496 SLG, .304 OBA, .800 OPS, -7 RCAA start in his first 52 games. He has a .715 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and -60 RCAA in 414 games.
29) The Brewers signed P Gary Glover to a minor league contract.
Glover has a 5.00 ERA/-14 RSAA in 130 career games.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see