Around the Majors: Tradesby Lee Sinins
July 30, 2004
1) The Dodgers traded P Guillermo Mota, C Paul Lo Duca and RF Juan Encarnacion to the Marlins for P Brad Penny, 1B Hee Seop Choi and minor league P Bill Murphy.
After 4.13 ERA/-3 RSAA and 1.97 ERA/24 RSAA seasons, Mota has a 2.14 ERA/13 RSAA in his first 52 games. He has a 3.29 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.34, and 37 RSAA in 304 games.
After -2 RCAA/.731 OPS and -12 RCAA/.712 OPS seasons, Lo Duca is hitting .444 SLG, .351 OBA, .795 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 91 games. He has a .771 career ERA, compared to his league average of .774, and 5 RCAA in 588 games.
After -8 RCAA/.773 OPS and -5 RCAA/.759 OPS seasons, Encarnacion is off to a .417 SLG, .289 OBA, .705 OPS, -11 RCAA start in his first 86 games. He has a .753 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and -59 RCAA in 838 games and also played for the 2002-03 Marlins.
After 4.66 ERA/-10 RSAA and 4.13 ERA/-3 RSAA seasons, Penny is off to a 3.15 ERA/15 RSAA start in his first 21 starts. He has a 4.04 career ERA< compared to his league average of 4.33, and 8 RSAA in 131 games.
Choi has 13 RCAA/.814 OPS in 199 career games, including a .495 SLG, .388 OBA, .882 OPS, 17 RCAA in a career high 95 games in 2004.
2) The Dodgers are also working on a deal that would send Penny, and others, to the Diamondbacks for Randy Johnson. According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, last night, neither the Dodgers nor Diamondbacks are optimistic that Johnson would agree to a deal, but it can't ruled out. The latest from ESPN's Peter Gammons, at noon today, were the Diamondbacks and Dodgers are far far apart on agreeing to the players involved in the deal.
2) A 3 way trade--
The Mets get P Kris Benson and minor league 2B Jeff Keppinger from the Pirates
The Pirates get 3B Ty Wigginton and minor league P Matt Peterson from the Mets and INF Jose Bautista from the Royals.
The Royals get minor league C Justin Huber from the Mets.
After 4.70 ERA/-5 RSAA and 4.97 ERA/-9 RSAA seasons, Benson is off to a 4.22 ERA/-2 RSAA start in his first 20 starts. He has a 4.26 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.43, and 12 RSAA in 126 games, but also hasn't had a positive RSAA since 2000.
After -14 RCAA/.714 OPS in his first year as a starter, Wigginton is off to a .487 SLG, .334 OBA, .821 OPS, 3 RCAA start in his first 86 games. He has a .767 career ERA, compared to his league average of .773, and -6 RCAA in 288 games.
Bautista has a .229 SLG, .283 OBA, .512 OPS, -5 RCAA in his first 41 games (53 PA), with the Orioles, Devil Rays and Royals.
3) The Devil Rays traded P Victor Zambrano and minor league P Bartolome Fortunato to the Mets for minor league Ps Scott Kazmir and Jose Diaz.
After 5.53 ERA/-13 RSAA and 4.21 ERA/7 RSAA seasons, Zambrano's off to a 4.43 ERA/0 RSAA start in his first 22 starts (23 games). He has a 4.47 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.52, and 2 RSAA in 135 games.
Fortunato has a 3.68 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 3 career games.
Kazmir, 20, was given an A- grade by John Sickels, who ranked him as the 5th best pitching prospect in baseball. His 4 starts so far in AA have been his only time above Hi-A ball.
4) According to the Denver Post, the Rockies and Dodgers have made a trade that will send C Charles Johnson to the Dodgers, but they are waiting to hear whether he'll waive his no trade clause. The paper also reports the Rockies are working on a deal that would send RF Larry Walker to the Marlins for a major leaguer and a prospect, while Walker vetoed a trade to the Rangers on Thursday.
5) There are also rumors that the Dodgers will trade for Diamondbacks CF Steve Finley, while the San Diego Union Tribune says the Padres are also in the running for him.
6) The Phillies traded CF Ricky Ledee and minor league P Alfredo Simon to the Giants for P Felix Rodriguez.
After 2 RCAA/.760 OPS and 5 RCAA/.809 OPS seasons, Ledee is hitting .512 SLG, .393 OBA, .905 OPS, 6 RCAA in his first 73 games. He has .753 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and -19 RCAA in 635 games.
After 4.17 ERA/-3 RSAA and 3.10 ERA/8 RSAA seasons, Rodriguez is off to a 3.43 ERA/5 RSAA in his first 53 games. He has a 3.43 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.36, and 39 RSAA in 475 games.
7) The Reds traded P Todd Jones and minor league OF Brad Correll to the Phillies for minor leaguers P Josh Hancock SS Anderson Machado.
After 4.70 ERA/3 RSAA and 7.08 ERA/-18 RSAA seasons, Jones is off to a 3.79 ERA/2 RSAA start in his first 51 games. He has a 4.04 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.41, and 34 RSAA in 717 games.
Hancock has a 6.05 ERA/-4 RSAA in 9 career games, including a 9.00 ERA/-5 RSAA in 4 games (2 starts) in 2004.
8) According to the Toronto Globe and Star, it is believed that BlueJays 1B Carlos Delgado might be able to be persuaded to change his mind and approve a trade.
9) According to NY Newsday, the Yankees are interested in reacquiring Roger Clemens, who is interested in returning to the team, but the Astros aren't interested in dealing him.
10) Barry Bonds watch--hit #685, is 15 away from 700, is 29 behind Ruth, is 70 behind Ruth.
Bonds tied the NL records for overall and consecutive seasons with 20+ HR above the league average. After 161 RCAA/1.381 OPS and 115 RCAA/1.278 OPS seasons, Bonds is hitting .778 SLG, .609 OBA, 1.387 OPS, 91 RCAA in his first 91 games. He has a 1.046 career OPS, compared to his league average of .749, and 1435 RCAA in 2660 games.
The all time top 10 lists--
1 Babe Ruth 15 T2 Mike Schmidt 13 T2 Barry Bonds 13 T4 Hank Aaron 12 T4 Jimmie Foxx 12 T6 Mel Ott 11 T6 Ted Williams 11 T6 Lou Gehrig 11 9 Mark McGwire 10 10 Harmon Killebrew 9 1 Babe Ruth 1919-33 15 2 Jimmie Foxx 1929-40 12 3 Lou Gehrig 1927-37 11 T4 Mike Schmidt 1979-87 9 T4 Barry Bonds 1996-04 9 T6 Mel Ott 1934-39 6 T6 Ralph Kiner 1947-52 6 T6 Willie Mays 1961-66 6 T6 Willie McCovey 1965-70 6 T6 Mark McGwire 1995-00 6 T6 Rafael Palmeiro 1998-03 6 T6 Alex Rodriguez 1998-03 6 T6 Sammy Sosa 1998-03 6
11) The Rangers passed the A's into 1st place in the AL West.
12) The Brewers tied the Reds for 4th place in the NL Central.
13) Alex Rodriguez passed Gil Hodges into 58th place on the all time HR list, with 371.
14) Cubs 1B Derrek Lee hit his 150th career HR.
After 29 RCAA/.872 OPS and 35 RCAA/.888 OPS seasons, Lee is hitting .551 SLG, .371 OBA, .922 OPS, 20 RCAA in his first 102 games. He has a .832 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and 83 RCAA in 968 games.
15) Cubs 3B Aramis Ramirez hit 3 HR in a game.
After -31 RCAA/.666 OPS and -4 RCAA/.788 OPS seasons, Ramirez is hitting .582 SLG, .370 OBA, .951 OPS, 20 RCAA in his first 92 games. He has a .780 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -21 RCAA in 714 games.
16) Astros 2B Jeff Kent was suspended for 3 games, for kicking and throwing dirt on home plate after being ejected from Sunday's game.
He's appealing. After 46 RCAA/.933 OPS and 13 RCAA/.860 OPS seasons, Kent is hitting .500 SLG, .342 OBA, .842 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 91 games. He has a .855 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and 226 RCAA in 1723 games.
17) The Angels terminated RF Raul Mondesi's contract, after he blew off several physical therapy appointments. He's also not returning phone calls and the team has no idea where he is, other than they think he went home to the Dominican Republic.
18) The Rangers had traded 1B Brad Fullmer to the Padres for minor league INF Jake Gautreau. But, the deal was contingent on Fullmer being able to come off the DL on August 9 and when he was examined, the Padres realized that won't be the case.
19) The Mariners traded PH Dave Hansen to the Padres for minor league P Jon Huber.
After 2 RCAA/.755 OPS and -1 RCAA/.692 OPS seasons, Hansen is off to a .423 SLG, .412 OBA, .835 OPS, 3 RCAA start in his first 57 games. He has a .745 career OPS, compared to his league average of .756, and 25 RCAA in 1141 games.
20) The Yankees placed 1B Jason Giambi on the 15 day DL, will call up OF Bubba Crosby and sent P Bret Prinz to the minors when they activated P Kevin Brown from the DL.
Giambi was diagnosed with a benign tumor and is expected to be able to return later this season.
Crosby has -4 RCAA/.528 OPS in 41 career games, including a .389 SLG, .256 OBA, .645 OPS, -2 RCAA in 32 games (41 PA) in 2004.
Prinz has a 4.93 ERA/-3 RSAA in 89 career games, including a 5.48 ERA/-3 RSAA in 20 games in 2004.
21) Giants 2B Ray Durham and P Jerome Williams had to leave yesterday's game, both in the 4th inning.
While it was originally believed that Williams injured his leg or ankle, it was actually tightness in his elbow. After starting his career with a 3.30 ERA/14 RSAA in 21 starts in 2003, he has a 4.41 ERA/-1 RSAA in 21 starts in 2004.
Durham injured his left wrist, X-rays were negative and he's day to day. After 15 RCAA/.825 OPS and 8 RCAA/.807 OPS seasons, he's hitting .440 SLG, .334 OBA, .774 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 66 games. Durham has a .783 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 47 RCAA in 1376 games.
22) Whitesox OF Carl Everett had to leave yesterday's game, due to a strained left quadriceps, and is day to day.
23) The Phillies placed P Billy Wagner on the 15 day DL.
Wagner has a strained rotator cuff. After 2.52 ERA/15 RSAA and 1.78 ERA/26 RSAA seasons, he has a 3.12 ERA/4 RSAA in his first 31 games. Wagner has a 2.57 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.31, and 103 RSAA in 495 games.
24) The Mariners called up Ps Gil Meche and Scott Achison, sent SS Ramon Santiago to the minors and placed P Julio Mateo on the 15 day DL.
Santiago was only up for a day.
Mateo has tendinitis in his elbow. After a 3.15 ERA/12 RSAA in 2003, he's off to a 5.05 ERA/-5 RSAA start in his first 40 games. Mateo has a 3.92 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.54, and 7 RSAA in 102 games.
25) The Royals called up P D.J. Carrasco.
After starting his career with a 4.82 ERA/3 RSAA in 50 games in 2003, Carrasco has a 5.68 ERA/-1 RSAA in 7 games in 2004.
26) The Mets called up OF Gerald Williams and P Matt Ginter and sent Ps Jae Seo, Tyler Yates and Dan Wheeler to the minors.
Williams has -94 RCAA/.714 OPS in 1081 career games, including 2 RCAA/.714 OPS in 9 games in 2004.
Ginter has a 5.48 ERA/-18 RSAA in 74 career games, including a 4.80 ERA/-4 RSAA in 11 starts in 2004.
Seo has a 4.16 ERA/2 RSAA in 52 career games, including a 4.876 ERA/-7 RSAA in 17 starts (19 games) in 2004.
Wheeler has a 5.18 ERA/-13 RSAA in 93 career games, including a 4.85 ERA/-3 RSAA in 28 games (1 start) in 2004.
27) The Rangers placed P R.A. Dickey on the 15 day DL and called up P Sam Narron.
Dickey had just recently finished an almost monthlong stay on the DL, due to a strained back muscle. While manager Buck Showalter says this injury is similar to that one, it's not expected to be as bad.
28) The Reds signed OF Darren Bragg to a minor league contract.
Earlier in the month, he became a free agent after he refused the Padres demotion to the minors.
29) Brewers 2B Junior Spivey had season ending shoulder surgery.
He's been on the DL since the beginning of the month.
30) The Reds moved OF Jason Romano from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
31) The Royals sent INF Damian Jackson to the minors after he cleared waivers. Jackson had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on July 24.
32) The Phillies called up CF Marlon Byrd.
After 13 RCAA/.784 OPS in 135 games as a rookie in 2003, Byrd is off to a .304 SLG, .297 OBA, .600 OPS, -15 RCAA start in his first 58 games.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see