Around the Majors: Beltran is traded to the Astrosby Lee Sinins
June 24, 2004
1) A 3 way trade--
The Royals traded CF Carlos Beltran to the Astros.
The Astros traded P Octavio Dotel to the A's.
The A's trade traded minor leaguers 3B Mark Teahen and P Mike Wood to the Royals.
The Astros traded minor league C John Buck to the Royals.
After 8 RCAA/.847 OPS and 36 RCAA/.911 OPS seasons, Beltran is hitting .534 SLG, .367 OBA, .901 OPS, 19 RCAA in his first 69 games. He has a .835 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and 73 RCAA in 795 games.
After 1.85 ERA/27 RSAA and 2.48 ERA/19 RSAA seasons, Dotel is off to a 3.12 ERA/4 RSAA start in his first 32 games. He has a 3.59 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.40, and 56 RSAA in 321 games.
2) According to the Houston Chronicle, the Astros and A's may not be done dealing, with the Astros scouting P Arthur Rhodes.
3) The Royals sent C Mike Tonis and P Chris George to the minors, to make room on the roster for Buck and Wood.
4) Marlins 3B Mike Lowell set the team record for career extra base hits.
After 13 RCAA/.816 OPS and 22 RCAA/.881 OPS seasons, Lowell is hitting .555 SLG, .374 OBA, .929 OPS, 20 RCAA in his first 71 games. He has a .823 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and 65 RCAA in 752 games.
The new top 10--
EXTRA BASE HITS 1 Mike Lowell 307 2 Derrek Lee 306 3 Cliff Floyd 286 4 Jeff Conine 260 5 Gary Sheffield 227 6 Preston Wilson 223 7 Alex Gonzalez 221 8 Charles Johnson 189 9 Kevin Millar 182 10 Luis Castillo 165Lowell ranks 3rd vs. the league average--
EXTRA BASE HITS DIFF PLAYER LEAGUE 1 Cliff Floyd 87 286 199 2 Gary Sheffield 68 227 159 3 Mike Lowell 57 307 250 4 Kevin Millar 48 182 134 5 Derrek Lee 44 306 262 T6 Preston Wilson 22 223 201 T6 Jeff Conine 22 260 238 8 Miguel Cabrera 16 70 54 9 Kurt Abbott 12 130 118 10 Moises Alou 11 57 465) According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the Indians have signed 3B Aaron Boone, but the deal hasn't been confirmed by the team.
6) The Giants activated 1B J.T. Snow from the DL and sent 1B Damon Minor to the minors.
After -4 RCAA/.704 OPS and 8 RCAA/.806 OPS seasons, Snow is off to a .328 SLG, .340 OBA, .668 OPS, -4 RCAA start in his first 37 games. He has a .777 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and 21 RCAA in 1490 games.
Minor was removed from the 40 man roster. He has -1 RCAA/.736 OPS in 136 career games, including a .271 SLG, .400 OBA, .671 OPS, -2 RCAA in 24 games in 2004.
7) The Mets placed OF Karim Garcia on the 15 day DL, designated OF Gerald Williams for assignment, called up C Tom Wilson and activated P Orber Moreno from the DL.
Garcia has tendinitis in his left wrist. After 3 RCAA/.889 OPS and -6 RCAA/.724 OPS seasons, he is off to a .407 SLG, .276 OBA, .684 OPS, -8 RCAA start in his first 58 games. Garcia has a .709 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and -50 RCAA in 461 games.
Williams has -94 RCAA/.714 OPS in 1081 career games, including a .588 SLG, .368 OBA, .957 OPS, 2 RCAA in 9 games in 2004.
Wilson has -9 RCAA/.719 OPS in 202 career games, including 0 for 1 in 1 game in 2004.
Moreno has a 4.57 ERA/-1 RSAA in 37 career games, including a 3.20 ERA/3 RSAA in 23 games in 2004.
8) The Marlins will place P Josh Beckett on 15 day DL today and call up P Michael Tejera.
Beckett has a sore back. After starting his career with 4.10 ERA/-1 RSAA and 3.04 ERA/15 RSAA seasons (he also pitched in 4 games in 2001), he is off to a 3.86 ERA/2 RSAA start in his first 12 starts. Beckett has a 3.43 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.23, and 23 RSAA in 63 games.
Tejera has a 4.72 ERA/-18 RSAA in 100 career games, including a 4.67 ERA/-6 RSAA in 50 games (6 starts) in 2003 and hasn't made his 2004 debut yet.
9) The BlueJays sent P Jason Kershner to the minors after he cleared waivers. He had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on Tuesday.
10) The Redsox traded minor league C Raul Casanova to the Royals for a player to be named later.
Casanova, who hasn't played in the majors since 2002, has -45 RCAA/.670 OPS in 332 career games.
11) The Expos called up P Scott Downs and sent P Chad Bentz to the minors.
Downs has a 5.58 ERA/-14 RSAA in 20 career games.
Bentz has a 5.03 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 31 career game.s
12) Braves P C.J. Nitkowski became a free agent when he refused an assignment to the minors. He had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on June 19.
13) The Pirates placed P Mike Johnston on the 15 day DL and called up P Mark Corey.
Johnston has elbow inflammation. He has a 4.37 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 24 career games.
Corey has a 6.93 ERA/-18 RSAA in 58 career games, including a 6.48 ERA/-2 RSAA in 8 games in 2004.
14) The Rangers will place LF Eric Young on the 15 day DL and are expected to call up INF Manny Alexander.
Young has infections from a couple of spider bites. After -8 RCAA/.707 OPS and -10 RCAA/.727 OPS seasons, he's off to a .372 SLG, .413 OBA, .785 OPS, -5 RCAA start in his first 40 games. Young has a .753 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and -57 RCAA in 1550 games.
Alexander, who hasn't appeared in the majors since 2000, has -73 RCAA/.613 OPS in 541 career games.
15) The Phillies placed OF Ricky Ledee on the 15 day DL and called up 2B Chase Utley.
Ledee had hemorrhoid surgery.
After starting his career with -2 RCAA/.696 OPS in 43 games in 2003, Utley is off to a .449 SLG, .261 OBA, .710 OPS, -5 RCAA start in his first 29 games.
16) Diamondbacks minor league P Jim Parque announced his announcement.
17) Indians P Cliff Lee dropped the appeal of his 6 game suspension.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see