Around the Majors: Ordonez for Jones?by Lee Sinins
June 27, 2004
1) According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Whitesox could be close to acquiring Braves P Russ Ortiz, while the deal could be expanded to include Andruw Jones and Magglio Ordonez. While the Chicago Sun Times doesn't say anything about a deal being close, they also report that it could be expanded to include the OFs.
Meanwhile, they are both reporting that Jon Rauch could be part of the package the Whitesox would use to get Ortiz.
2) The Phillies moved into a virtual tie, with the Marlins, for 1st place in the NL East, with the Phillies leading in PCT.
3) Jim Thome tied Duke Snider for 36th place on the all time HR list, with 407.
4) Gary Sheffield passed Johnny Bench and tied Graig Nettles for 42nd place on the all time HR list, with 390.
5) Rangers 3B Hank Blalock hit his 50th career HR.
After 12 RCAA/.872 OPS in his first year as a starter, Blalock is hitting .577 SLG, .377 OBA, .954 OPS, 10 RCAA in his first 71 games. He has a .860 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and 13 RCAA in 263 games.
6) According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Jamie Moyer to the Yankees rumors are starting to heat up.
7) Yankees GM Brian Cashman says that, contrary to yesterday's rumor, the team has no interest in Mets P Tom Glavine.
8) The A's placed P Tim Hudson on the 15 day DL day, due to a strained oblique muscle. They don't have to make another move since this is the one that creates room on roster for Octavio Dotel.
After 2.98 ERA/45 RSAA and 2.70 ERA/41 RSAA seasons, Hudson is off to a 2.98 ERA/23 RSAA start in his first 15 starts. He has a 3.23 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.61, and 168 RSAA in 171 games.
9) A's P Rich Harden had to leave yesterday's game, due to a partially dislocated left (nonpitching) shoulder. It's not know yet how long he'll be out or whether he'll have to go on the DL.
After starting his career with a 4.46 ERA/-2 RSAA in 13 starts (15 games) in 2003, he's off to a 4.13 ERA/7 RSAA start in his first 14 starts.
10) The Angels activated P Troy Percival from the DL and sent P Matt Hensley to the minors.
After 1.92 ERA/15 RSAA and 3.47 ERA/4 RSAA seasons, Percival is off to a 5.09 ERA/-2 RSAA start in his first 19 games. He has a 3.07 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.69, and 99 RSAA in 546 games.
Hensley had a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA in his first 6 career games.
11) Diamondbacks 2B Roberto Alomar reached 500 career doubles.
After -5 RCAA/.708 OPS and -17 RCAA/.682 OPS seasons, Alomar is off to a .289 SLG, .280 OBA, .569 OPS, -4 RCAA in his first 16 games. He has a .815 career OPS, compared to his league average of .754, and 319 RCAA in 2339 games.
12) The Rangers placed P R.A. Dickey on the 15 day DL and called up P Ricardo Rodriguez.
Dickey has a strained upper back. He has a 5.49 ERA/-6 RSAA in 57 career games, including a 5.90 ERA/-2 RSAA in 13 starts (15 games) in 2004.
After starting his career with a 5.66 ERA/-5 RSAA in 7 starts in 2003, Rodriguez has a 5.73 ERA/-14 RSAA in 15 starts in 2004.
13) Dodgers P Odalis Perez had to leave yesterday's game, due to irritation in his rotator cuff. He'll be reevaluated today.
After 3.00 ERA/18 RSAA and 4.52 ERA/-11 RSAA seasons, Perez has a 2.96 ERA/13 RSAA in his first 16 starts. He has a 4.05 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.28, and -3 RSAA in 130 games.
14) The BlueJays placed LF Frank Catalanotto on the 15 day DL and activated P Kerry Ligtenberg from the DL.
Catalanotto has a strained right groin. After 1 RCAA/.808 OPS and 10 RCAA/.823 OPS seasons, he's off to a .455 SLG, .363 OBA, .818 OPS, 4 RCAA start in his first 47 games. Catalanotto has a .824 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and 48 RCAA in 686 games.
After 2.97 ERA/9 RSAA and 3.34 ERA/6 RSAA seasons, Ligtenberg is off to a 5.25 ERA/-2 RSAA start in his first 27 games. He has a 3.24 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.36, and 42 RSAA in 349 games.
15) The Indians placed P Rafael Betancourt on the 15 day DL, designated OF Raul Gonzalez for assignment, called up Ps Jack Cressend and Jeriome Robertson, released P Jeff D'Amico, added 3B Aaron Boone to the 40 man roster and placed him on the 15 day DL.
After starting his career with a 2.13 ERA/9 RSAA in 33 games in 2003, Betancourt has a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA in his first 35 games.
Gonzalez has -18 RCAA/.632 OPS in 168 career games, including 1 for 11, with -2 RCAA, in 7 games in 2004.
Cressend has a 4.20 ERA/5 RSAA in 122 career games, including a 6.32 ERA/-3 RSAA in 11 games in 2004.
After having a 5.10 ERA/-12 RSAA in 31 starts (32 games) with the 2003 Astros, Robertson has a 6.14 ERA/-1 RSAA in 2 games in 2004.
D'Amico's been on the DL since May. After 4.94 ERA/-17 RSAA and 4.77 ERA/-10 RSAA seasons, he had a 7.63 ERA/-10 RSAA in his first 7 starts. D'Amico has a 4.61 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.47, and -19 RSAA in 139 games.
Boone was signed to a 2 year contract, with a vesting option for 2006.
16) The Orioles reassigned pitching coach Mark Wiley to a scouting job and brought back Ray Miller for that position.
17) Indians P C.C. Sabathia had to leave yesterday's game, after just 1 inning (throwing just 8 pitches), due to a sore shoulder.
After 4.37 ERA/4 RSAA and 3.60 ERA/13 RSAA seasons, Sabathia is off to a 2.77 ERA/20 RSAA start in his first 15 starts. He has a 3.93 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.49, and 40 RSAA in 111 games.
18) The Reds activated P Aaron Harang from the DL and sent INF Felipe Lopez to the minors.
Harang has a 5.05 ERA/-19 RSAA in 44 career games, including a 5.01 ERA/-9 RSAA in 12 starts in 2004.
Lopez has -33 RCAA/.649 OPS in 211 career games, including a .196 SLG, .170 OBA, .366 OPS, -5 RCAA in 18 games in 2004.
19) The Pirates placed 1B Daryle Ward on the 15 day DL and called up OF Tony Alvarez.
Ward has a sprained ligament in his right thumb. After -7 RCAA/.748 OPS and -13 RCAA/.403 OPS seasons, he's hitting .521 SLG, .309 OBA, .830 OPS, 3 RCAA in his first 41 games. Ward has a .757 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and -25 RCAA in 511 games.
Alvarez had 1 RCAA/.879 OPS in 14 games with the 2002 Pirates.
20) Tigers CF Alex Sanchez had to leave yesterday's game, due to a mildly strained right hamstring, and is day to day.
After -3 RCAA/.701 OPS and -15 RCAA/.681 OPS seasons, Sanchez is off to a .384 SLG, .335 OBA, .719 OPS, -5 RCAA start in his first 63 games. He has a .689 career OPS< compared to his league average of .767, and -28 RCAA in 349 games.
21) Royals P Jeremy Affeldt had to leave yesterday's game, due to a muscle injury to his lower right ribs.
After starting his career with 4.64 ERA/5 RSAA and 3.93 ERA/17 RSAA seasons, Affeldt is off to a 4.70 ERA/-4 RSAA start in his first 22 games (8 starts). He has a 4.31 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.50, and 18 RSAA in 92 games.
22) Earlier in the week, the Yankees traded minor league OF Jackson Melian to the Braves for a player to be named later.
23) Rockies CF Jeromy Burnitz aggravated his left hamstring and could miss the next few games.
After -16 RCAA/.677 OPS and 0 RCAA/.786 OPS seasons, Burnitz is hitting .545 SLG, .348 OBA, .893 OPS, 3 RCAA in his first 68 games. He has a .836 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 89 RCAA in 1341 games.
24) The Tigers placed utilityman Brandon Inge on the 15 day DL and called up C Mike DiFelice.
Inge has a broken finger. After -18 RCAA/.599 OPS and -22 RCAA/.605 OPS seasons, he's off to a .491 SLG, .374 OBA, .865 OPS, 8 RCAA start in his first 59 games. Inge has a .618 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and -53 RCAA in 337 games.
After -6 RCAA/.660 OPS and -11 RCAA/.696 OPS seasons, DiFelice hasn't made his 2004 debut yet. He has a .655 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -83 RCAA in 484 games.
Correction from yesterday--The Devil Rays didn't tie the 1899 Colonels for most games under .500 for a team that reached that mark. The Colonels still hold that record of 22. Instead, the Devil Rays joined them as the only teams to come back from at least an 18 game hole.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see