Sunday, November 01, 2009
Joe Girardi FactsPosted by Jeremy Greenhouse
Joe Girardi costs his team 97% in Win Expectancy per game. The other 3% is the bridge to Mariano! Teh eighth inning!!!
President Girardi replaces Secretary of State Clinton with AP History student because he "likes the matchup with North Korea better." (Keith Law)
Joe Girardi is the reason the band MGMT abbreviated its name, not wanting to be associated with his management.
Joe Girardi invented the triple switch.
Joe Girardi isn't competent enough to be the assistant regional manager nor the assistant to the regional manager of the New York Yankees.
CBS just announced a new 2010 drama starring Joe Girardi: "The Overmanagerist." (Bill Simmons)
Joe Girardi made the innocuous move a couple weeks ago of pulling David Robertson, a good reliever, in favor of Alfredo Aceves, another good reliever. This move directly resulted in the Yankees' first playoff loss to the Angels. Now, the outcry over Girardi’s thoughtless and truly indefensible moves—pinch-running for A-Rod, bunting with Nick Swisher on a 2-0 count, starting Jerry Hairston against Pedro—has become indistinguishable from the outcry over Girardi's harmless and possibly correct decisions—bunting with Derek Jeter, starting Jose Molina, using Mariano as a crutch. Fans are becoming The Boy Who Cried Overmanager. Is Joe Girardi a bad manager? Sure. But I'd just like to point out that the hyperbole machine is already in full gear.
Any questions? Feel free to email me.