Around the Majors: Angels sign Cabreraby Lee Sinins
December 20, 2004
1) The Angels signed free agent SS Orlando Cabrera to a 4 year, $32 million contract.
After -16 RCAA/.701 OPS and -7 RCAA/.807 OPS seasons, Cabrera hit .383 SLG, .306 OBA, .689 OPS, -21 RCAA in 161 games with the Expos and Redsox. It was his 5th double digit negative RCAA, and 6th negative, in his 6 years as a starter. He has a .725 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and -114 RCAA in 962 games.
2) The Dodgers are reportedly considering backing out of the 3 blockbuster trade that would send Randy Johnson to the Yankees.
3) The Padres traded CF Jay Payton, INF Ramon Vazquez, P David Pauley and cash to the Redsox for OF Dave Roberts.
After 10 RCAA/.838 OPS and 0 RCAA/.865 OPS seasons, Payton had a .367 SLG, .326 OBA, .693 OPS, -9 RCAA in 143 games. He has a .778 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and -20 RCAA in 715 games.
After 1 RCAA/.706 OPS and -4 RCAA/.684 OPS seasons, Vazquez had a .322 SLG, .297 OBA, .619 OPS, -6 RCAA in 52 games. He has a .678 career OPS, compared to his league average of .768, and -12 RCAA in 313 games.
After 9 RCAA/.718 OPS and -9 RCAA/.638 OPS seasons, Roberts hit .379 SLG, .337 OBA, .716 OPS, 1 RCAA in 113 games (first 68 with the Dodgers). He has a .679 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -10 RCAA in 422 games.
4) Mets CF Mike Cameron had arthroscopic surgery on his left wrist and isn't expected to return until the middle of April or May.
After 13 RCAA/.782 OPS and 3 RCAA/.774 OPS seasons, Cameron hit .479 SLG, .319 OBA, .798 OPS, 2 RCAA in 140 games. He has a .780 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and 43 RCAA in 1192 games.
5) The following players became free agents when they were nontendered--
Angels--SS David Eckstein
Diamondbacks--Ps Shane Nance and Brandon Medders
Marlins--Ps Franklyn Gracesqui and Matt Perisho
Dodgers--2B Alex Cora, C Tom Wilson, P Scott Stewart
Reds--Ps D.J. Mattox, John Riedling and Phil Norton
Tigers--utilityman Eric Munson
Giants--INF Cody Ransom, OF Dustan Mohr, P Wayne Franklin
Astros--P Wade Miller
Phillies--INF Lou Collier, OF Jorge Padilla, C Michel Hernandez, Ps Amaury Telemaco and Geoff Geary
Braves--INFs Mark DeRosa and Mike Hessman
Padres--P Brian Sweeney
Whitesox--C Ben Davis, P Scott Schoeneweis, Ryan Meaux and Eduardo Villacis
Brewers--P Chris Saenz
BlueJays--P Kevin Frederick
Indians--P Mariano Gomez
Cardinals--OF So Taguchi
Mets--Ps Scott Strickland and Orber Moreno
Redsox--C Sandy Martinez, P Lenny DiNardo
Royals--P Miguel Asencio
6) The Twins re-signed 2B Luis Rivas ($1.625 million), LF Jacque Jones (1 year, $5 million) and DH Matthew LeCroy ($750,000) to 1 year contracts, to avoid salary arbitration and re-signed OF Michael Ryan (minimum salary + $5,000) and P Matt Guerrier (minimum salary + $2,500).
After -12 RCAA/.697 OPS and -23 RCAA/.689 OPS seasons, Rivas had a .432 SLG, .283 OBA, .715 OPS, -11 RCAA in 109 games. He has a .695 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and -68 RCAA in 506 games.
After 20 RCAA/.852 OPS and 8 RCAA/.797 OPS seasons, Jones hit .427 SLG, .315 OBA, .742 OPS, -15 RCAA in 151 games. He has a .787 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -16 RCAA in 834 games.
After -3 RCAA/.754 OPS and 7 RCAA/.832 OPS seasons, LeCroy hit .424 SLG, .321 OBA, .745 OPS, -6 RCAA in 88 games. He has a .766 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and -14 RCAA in 329 games.
Ryan has 2 RCAA/.813 OPS in 70 career games, including a .296 SLG, .280 OBA, .576 OPS, -6 RCAA in 36 games in 2004.
Guerrier had a 5.68 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 9 career games (2 starts).
7) The Marlins outrighted P Mike Neu to the minors, which removed him from the 40 man roster.
Neu has a 3.72 ERA/3 RSAA in 33 career games, including a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA in 1 game in 2004.
8) The Nationals re-signed P T.J. Tucker to a 1 year, $657,000 contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After 4.11 ERA/0 RSAA and 4.73 ERA/3 RSAA seasons, Tucker had a 3.72 ERA/3 RSAA in 54 games. He has a 4.46 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.26, and 1 RSAA in 158 games.
9) The Redsox signed 1B-OF Mike O'Keefe and Simon Pond, OFs Brett Roneberg, Chip Ambres, Brian Sellier and Billy McMillon, C-OF Jeff Bailey and Ps John Stephens, Scott Cassidy, Tim Kester, Marc Deschenes, Kris Wilson, Talley Haines, Tim Bausher, Jason Kershner and Billy Traber to minor league contracts.
10) The Dodgers re-signed free agent P Wilson Alvarez to a 2 year, $4 million contract, signed free agent INF Jose Valentin to a 1 year, $3.5 million contract and re-signed 1B Olmedo Saenz (1 year, $650,000) and P Giovanni Carrara (1 year, $500,000), to avoid salary arbitration.
After 5.28 ERA/-7 RSAA and 2.37 ERA/17 RSAA seasons, Alvarez had a 4.03 ERA/1 RSAA in 40 games (15 starts). He has a 3.94 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.57, and 92 RSAA in 334 games.
After -1 RCAA/.790 OPS and 0 RCAA/.776 OPS seasons, Valentin hit .473 SLG, .287 OBA, .760 OPS, -16 RCAA in 125 games with the Whitesox. He has a .773 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -53 RCAA in 1434 games.
After -13 RCAA/.675 OPS and 4 RCAA/.822 OPS seasons, Saenz hit .505 SLG, .352 OBA, .856 OPS, 3 RCAA in 77 games. He has a .801 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 13 RCAA in 429 games.
After 3.28 ERA/5 RSAA and 6.83 ERA/-8 RSAA seasons, Carrara had a 2.18 ERA/12 RSAA in 42 games. He has a 4.85 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and -26 RSAA in 216 games.
11) The Dodgers claimed P Frank Brooks off waivers from the Pirates.
12) The Indians re-signed 2B Ronnie Belliard to a 1 year, $3 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After -25 RCAA/.744 OPS and -6 RCAA/.760 OPS seasons, Belliard hit .426 SLG, .348 OBA, .774 OPS, 0 RCAA in 152 games. He has a .749 career OPS, compared to his league average of .781, and -38 RCAA in 757 games.
13) The Reds signed free agent P Kent Mercker to a 2 year, $2.6 million contract and re-signed 2B D'Angelo Jimenez to a 1 year, $2.87 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After 6.14 ERA/-5 RSAA and 1.95 ERA/14 RSAA seasons, Mercker had a 2.55 ERA/12 RSAA in 71 games with the Cubs. He has a 4.19 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.23, and 23 RSAA in 563 games.
After -9 RCAA/.677 OPS and 3 RCAA/.764 OPS seasons, Jimenez hit .394 SLG, .364 OBA, .758 OPS, 3 RCAA in 152 games. He has a .738 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -3 RCAA in 505 games.
14) The A's re-signed Ps Chad Bradford (1 year, $1.4 million) and Tim Harikkala ($335,000) and 2B Mark Ellis ($400,000), to avoid salary arbitration.
After 3.11 ERA/13 RSAA and 3.04 ERA/10 RSAA seasons, Bradford had a 4.42 ERA/2 RSAA in 68 games. He has a 3.47 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.56, and 36 RSAA in 294 games.
Harikkala has a 5.83 ERA/-7 RSAA in 64 career games, including a 4.74 ERA/3 RSAA in 55 games with the 2004 Rockies.
After starting his career with 1 RCAA/.753 OPS and -10 RCAA/.684 OPS seasons, Ellis missed the entire 2004 season. He has a .711 career OPS, compared to his league average of .760, and -9 RCAA in 252 games.
15) The Orioles signed free agent P Steve Kline to a 2 year, $5.5 million contract and re-signed RF Jay Gibbons (1 year, $2.6 million) and P Bruce Chen (1 year, $550,000), to avoid salary arbitration.
After 3.39 ERA/3 RSAA and 3.82 ERA/2 RSAA seasons, Kline had a 1.79 ERA/13 RSAA in 67 games with the Cardinals. He has a 3.30 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and 56 RSAA in 589 games.
After 2 RCAA/.792 OPS and 9 RCAA/.786 OPS seasons, Gibbons had a .379 SLG, .303 OBA, .682 OPS, -17 RCAA in 97 games. He has a .766 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and -7 RCAA in 466 games.
Chen has a 4.44 ERA/0 RSAA in 163 career games, including a 3.02 ERA/10 RSAA in 7 starts (8 games) in 2004.
16) The Pirates re-signed 1B Daryle Ward to a 1 year, $950,000 contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After -7 RCAA/.748 OPS and -13 RCAA/.403 OPS seasons, Ward had a .474 SLG, .305 OBA, .780 OPS, -3 RCAA in 79 games. He has a .753 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and -31 RCAA in 549 games.
17) The BlueJays re-signed P Justin Speier (1 year, $4.15 million contract) and INF John McDonald (1 year, $400,000), to avoid salary arbitration.
After 4.33 ERA/5 RSAA and 4.05 ERA/6 RSAA seasons, Speier had a 3.91 ERA/8 RSAA in 62 games. He has a 4.40 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.47, and 22 RSAA in 336 games.
After -14 RCAA/.614 OPS and -16 RCAA/.538 OPS seasons, McDonald had a .344 SLG, .237 OBA, .581 OPS, -8 RCAA in 66 games with the Indians. He has a .577 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and -42 RCAA in 285 games.
18) The Cubs re-signed INF Jose Macias to a 1 year, $825,000 contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After -15 RCAA/.672 OPS and -25 RCAA/.626 OPS seasons, Macias had a .376 SLG, .292 OBA, .668 OPS, -9 RCAA in 98 games. He has a .679 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and -63 RCAA in 547 games.,
19) The Mariners traded P Aaron Taylor to the Rockies for P Sean Green.
Taylor has a 8.86 ERA/-11 RSAA in 20 career games, including a 9.82 ERA/-2 RSAA in 5 games in 2004.
20) The Mariners designated P Rett Johnson for assignment.
21) The Phillies re-signed P Aaron Fultz to a 1 year, $550,000 contract.
After 4.79 ERA/-5 RSAA and 5.21 ERA/-1 RSAA seasons, Fultz had a 5.04 ERA/-2 RSAA in 55 games with the Twins. He has a 4.85 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.48, and -16 RSAA in 286 games.
22) The Phillies sold INF Chris Gomez to the Orioles and P Aaron Myette to the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles.
Gomez had signed with the Orioles earlier in the offseason, but the Phillies took him in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft. After -9 RCAA/.715 OPS and -13 RCAA/.633 OPS seasons, he had a .346 SLG, .337 OBA, .683 OPS, -11 RCAA in 109 games with the BlueJays. Gomez has a .680 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -137 RCAA in 1189 games.
Myette has a 8.16 ERA/-60 RSAA in 47 career games, including a 8.31 ERA/-2 RSAA in 5 games with the 2004 Reds.
23) The Tigers signed P Andrew Good to a minor league contract.
24) The Rockies are about to re-sign free agents C Todd Greene (1 year, $650,000) and P Jamey Wright (1 year, $550,000).
After -2 RCAA/.862 OPS and -12 RCAA/.677 OPS seasons, Greene had a .508 SLG, .325 OBA, .833 OPS, -7 RCAA in 75 games. He has a .724 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and -60 RCAA in 437 games.
After 5.29 ERA/-20 RSAA and 4.26 ERA/3 RSAA (just 4 G/GS) seasons, Wright had a 4.12 ERA/9 RSAA in 14 starts. He has a 5.08 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.34, and -19 RSAA in 192 games.
25) The Yankees re-signed P Tanyon Sturtze to a 1 year contract.
After 5.18 ERA/-18 RSAA and 5.94 ERA/-12 RSAA seasons, Sturtze had a 5.47 ERA/-9 RSAA in 28 games (3 starts). He has a 5.23 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.54, and -53 RSAA in 187 games.
26) The Cardinals re-signed P Mike Lincoln to a 1 year, $360,000 contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After 3.11 ERA/10 RSAA and 5.20 ERA/-4 RSAA seasons, Lincoln had a 5.19 ERA/-2 RSAA in 13 games. He has a 5.16 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.47, and -15 RSAA in 161 games.
27) The Mets re-signed C Vance Wilson to a 1 year, $760,000 contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After -5 RCAA/.682 OPS and -13 RCAA/.666 OPS seasons, Wilson hit .427 SLG, .335 OBA, .762 OPS, -2 RCAA in 79 games. He has a .692 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -23 RCAA in 285 games.
28) The Reds signed 3B Travis Chapman to a minor league contract.
Chapman was 0 for 1 in 1 game with the 2003 Phillies.
29) The BlueJays outrighted P Steve Andrade to the minors, which removed him from the 40 man roster.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article