Around the Majors: Astros re-sign Clemensby Lee Sinins
January 22, 2005
1) The Astros re-signed P Roger Clemens to a 1 year, $18 million contract.
After 4.35 ERA/0 RSAA and 3.91 ERA/10 RSAA seasons, Clemens had a 2.98 ERA/32 RSAA in 33 starts. He has a 3.18 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and 645 RSAA in 640 games.
Clemens has a chance to set the modern day record for career RSAA (he's 4th including the 19th century)--
RSAA 1 Lefty Grove 668 2 Roger Clemens 645 3 Walter Johnson 643 4 Greg Maddux 553 5 Grover C Alexander 524 6 Randy Johnson 511 7 Pedro Martinez 477 8 Christy Mathewson 405 9 Tom Seaver 404 10 Carl Hubbell 355
2) The Rangers have reportedly made a 4 year, $48 million offer to free agent 1B Carlos Delgado, with the team wanting an answer by the end of the weekend.
3) The Angels signed free agent INF Lou Merloni to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
After -3 RCAA/.724 OPS and -2 RCAA/.704 OPS seasons, Merloni hit .426 SLG, .343 OBA, .769 OPS, -4 RCAA in 71 games with the Indians. He has a .722 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -31 RCAA in 409 games.
4) The Orioles signed free agent P Steve Reed to a 1 year, $1.05 million contract, with an option for 2006, added INF Chris Gomez to the 40 man roster and designated Ps Dave Borkowski and Brian Forystek for assignment.
After 2.01 ERA/13 RSAA and 3.27 ERA/11 RSAA seasons, Reed had a 3.68 ERA/11 RSAA in 65 games with the Rockies. He has a 3.51 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.31, and 128 RSAA in 803 games.
After -9 RCAA/.715 OPS and -13 RCAA/.633 OPS seasons, Gomez had a 346 SLG, .337 OBA, .683 OPS, -11 RCAA in 109 games with the BlueJays. He has a .680 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -137 RCAA in 1189 games.
Borkowski has a 6.33 ERA/-28 RSAA in 51 career games, including a 5.14 ERA/-2 RSAA in 17 games (8 starts) in 2004.
5) The Pirates signed P Albie Lopez to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
Lopez, who was out of the majors in 2004, has a 4.94 ERA/-26 RSAA in 297 career games.
6) The Indians re-signed 3B Casey Blake to a 2 year, $5.4 million contract, with an option for 2007.
After a -8 RCAA/.723 OPS season, Blake hit .486 SLG, .354 OBA, .839 OPS, 9 RCAA in 152 games. He has a .770 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -4 RCAA in 353 games.
7) The Padres signed P Steve Sparks to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
After 5.52 ERA/-29 RSAA and 4.88 ERA/-7 RSAA seasons, Sparks had a 6.04 ERA/-21 RSAA in 18 starts (29 games) with the Diamondbacks.
8) The Phillies claimed P Edwin Moreno off waivers from the Rangers.
9) The Mets sold P Pedro Feliciano to the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks.
Feliciano has a 4.21 ERA/1 RSAA in 51 games, including a 5.40 ERA/-2 RSAA in 22 games in 2004.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article