Around the Majors: Free agent signingsby Lee Sinins
December 06, 2004
1) The Dodgers signed free agent OF Ricky Ledee to a 2 year, $2.5 million contract.
After 2 RCAA/.760 OPS and 5 RCAA/.709 OPS seasons, Ledee hit .403 SLG, .337 OBA, .740 OPS, -2 RCAA in 104 games with the Phillies and Giants. He has a .740 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and -27 RCAA in 666 games.
2) The Phillies re-signed free agent C Todd Pratt to a 1 year, $750,000 contract.
After 12 RCAA/.949 OPS and 7 RCAA/.864 OPS seasons, Pratt hit .367 SLG, .351 OBA, .719 OPS, -4 RCAA in 45 games. He has a .756 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and 1 RCAA in 540 games.
3) Today is the deadline for teams to offer their free agents salary arbitration. If they don't offer it, they lose the right to negotiate with the player until May 1 and can't receive draft picks as compensation.
4) The Rockies terminated P Denny Neagle's contract, after he was arrested on solicitation charges.
5) Tigers LF Craig Monroe was arrested on charges that he shoplifted a $29.99 belt.
After -8 RCAA/.736 OPS in his first year as a starter, Monroe hit .488 SLG, .337 OBA, .824 OPS, 10 RCAA in 128 games. He has a .765 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and -4 RCAA in 296 games.
6) According to the Miami Herald, the Marlins have just about agreed to terms with free agent Ps Al Leiter and Antonio Alfonseca, with the parties waiting until after tonight's arbitration deadline.
7) The Phillies claimed P Pedro Liriano off waivers from the Brewers.
Liriano had a 4.02 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 11 career games.
8) According to the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers are interested in free agents 3B Troy Glaus and F Steve Finley.
9) The Rockies sent P Justin Hampson to the minors and removed him from the 40 man roster.
10) The Redsox claimed P Tim Bausher off waivers from the Rockies.
11) The Phillies signed Ps Mike Bacsik, Clay Condrey and Aaron Myette to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
Bacsik has a 5.88 ERA/-18 RSAA in 22 career games, including a 4.60 ERA/1 RSAA in 3 starts with the 2004 Rangers.
Condrey has a 5.49 ERA/-11 RSAA in 18 career games.
Myette has a 8.16 ERA/-60 RSAA in 47 career games, including a 8.31 ERA/-2 RSAA in 5 games with the 2004 Reds.
12) The Cardinals named Hal McRae hitting coach.
13) The Brewers re-signed INF Trent Durrington to a minor league contract, outrighted OF Chris Magruder to the minors and invited them both to spring training.
Durrington has -22 RCAA/.516 OPS in 112 career games, including a .402 SLG, .267 OBA, .670 OPS, -4 RCAA in 53 games in 2004.
Magruder was removed from the 40 man roster when he was designated for assignment on November 29.
14) Bud Selig had surgery to remove a cancerous lesion of the skin from his face.
15) The BlueJays claimed P Steve Andrade off waivers from the Angels.
16) The Marlins signed P Ryan Cameron to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article