Around the Majors: Garciaparra rumorby Lee Sinins
July 05, 2004
1) According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Marlins are interested in Redsox SS Nomar Garciaparra, with SS Alex Gonzalez, 1B Hee Seop Choi and Ps Brad Penny and Carl Pavano all being potential bait. Additionally, the paper speculates that a 2-for-2 deal could be made, with the Marlins also acquiring P Derek Lowe.
2) The Twins moved into sole possession of 1st place in the AL Central.
3) The Rangers tied the A's for 1st place in the AL West.
4) The Padres passed the Giants into 1st place in the NL West.
5) Tino Martinez tied Carlos Delgado for 91st place on the all time HR list, with 312.
6) The Marlins activated P Josh Beckett from the DL before yesterday's game and, after he had to leave the game due to a blister problem, put him back on the DL after the game. To make room for Beckett, they had designated P Aaron Small for assignment and haven't made a move yet to replace him.
7) The Orioles placed 3B Melvin Mora on the 15 day DL, called up P Dave Borkowski and moved 1B-DH David Segui from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Mora has a strained right hamstring. After -1 RCAA/.742 OPS and 33 RCAA/.921 OPS seasons, he's hitting .556 SLG, .433 OBA, .989 OPS, 26 RCAA in his first 66 games. Mora has a .790 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and 41 RCAA in 637 games.
8) The Indians activated OF Ryan Ludwick and C Josh Bard from the DL and sent them to the minors, designated minor league P Scott Stewart for assignment and moved P Joey Dawley from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Stewart has a 3.85 ERA/14 RSAA in 203 career games, including a 7.24 ERA/-4 RSAA in 23 games in 2004.
9) According to the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants may be interested in Rockies P Shawn Estes.
10) A MRI on Dodgers P Edwin Jackson showed no structural damage to his elbow, but some inflammation in his forearm. He is expected to be able to make his next start.
11) The Devil Rays called up P Jeremi Gonzalez and sent P Bartolome Fortunato to the minors.
After having a 3.91 ERA/10 RSAA in 2003, his first time in the majors since 1998, Gonzalez is off to a 7.02 ERA/-12 RSAA start in his first 8 starts (9 games). He has a 4.65 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.36, and -11 RSAA in 77 games.
Fortunato had a 3.68 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 3 career games.
12) The Padres placed 1B Phil Nevin on the 15 day DL and called up OF Xavier Nady.
Nevin had arthroscopic knee surgery.
Nady has -9 RCAA/.699 OPS in 115 career games, including 0 for 9, with -2 RCAA, in 4 games in 2004.
13) The Padres released minor league P Donovan Osborne.
Osborne has a 4.03 ERA/-3 RSAA in 163 career games, including a 7.13 ERA/-5 RSAA in 9 games (2 starts) with the 2004 Yankees.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see
<< Return to Article