Around the Majors: Gonzalez goes on the DLby Lee Sinins
April 01, 2005
1) The Indians placed RF Juan Gonzalez on the 15 day DL and called up OF Grady Sizemore.
Gonzalez has a strained right hamstring. After -6 RCAA/.776 OPS and 7 RCAA/.901 OPS seasons, he hit .441 SLG, .326 OBA, .767 OPS, -1 RCAA in 33 games with the Royals. Gonzalez hasn't played in more than 82 games in a season since 2001 and has a .904 career OPS, compared to his league average of .762, and 277 RCAA in 1688 games.
Sizemore hit .406 SLG, .333 OBA, .739 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 43 career games.
2) Kevin Appier retired.
Appier finished with a 3.74 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.50, and 225 RSAA in 414 career games, including a 13.50 ERA/-4 RSAA in 2 starts with the 2004 Royals.
Appier holds the Royals record for career RSAA--
RSAA 1 Kevin Appier 224 2 Bret Saberhagen 162 3 Dan Quisenberry 158 4 Jeff Montgomery 115 5 Mark Gubicza 96 T6 David Cone 76 T6 Charlie Leibrandt 76 8 Steve Farr 60 9 Dennis Leonard 58 10 Larry Gura 53
3) The Phillies sent CF Marlon Byrd and OFs Shane Victorino and Greg Golson and C Jason Jaramillo to the minors.
Byrd lost his starting job to Kenny Lofton. After 13 RCAA/.784 OPS as a rookie, Byrd had a .321 SLG, .287 OBA, .608 OPS, -25 RCAA in 106 games. He has a .709 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -14 RCAA in 251 games.
Victorino cleared waivers and was offered back to the Dodgers, since he was a Rule 5 draftee. But, they didn't want to pay the $25,000 to reclaim him.
4) The Mets sent OFs Victor Diaz and Gerald Williams, C Joe Hietpas and P Aaron Heilman to the minors, released OF Kerry Robinson, added INF Chris Woodward and P Mike Matthews to the 40 man roster, signed C Mike DiFelice to a minor league contract and placed P Steve Trachsel on the 60 day DL.
Trachsel has a herniated disc in his back and is expected to miss half the season.
5) The Marlins sent INF Joe Dillon and OF Josh Willingham to the minors.
6) The Marlins sent P Luke Hagerty back to the Cubs.
Hagerty was a Rule 5 draftee.
7) The Braves traded INF Nick Green to the Devil Rays for P Jorge Sosa.
Green had a .386 SLG, .312 OBA, .698 OPS, -8 RCAA in his first 95 career games.
After starting his career with 5.53 ERA/-12 RSAA and 4.62 ERA/-1 RSAA seasons, Sosa had a 5.53 ERA/-12 RSAA in 43 games (8 starts). He has a 5.17 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.54, and -25 RSAA in 103 games.
8) The Devil Rays released INF Shane Halter.
Halter has -71 RCAA/.688 OPS in 690 career games, including a .351 SLG, .248 OBA,. 599 OPS, -9 RCAA in 46 games with the 2004 Angels.
9) The Tigers sent OFs Alexis Gomez and Marcus Thames and P Doug Creek to the minors.
10) The Mariners claimed OF Abraham Nunez off waivers from the Royals.
Nunez has -20 RCAA/.596 OPS in 136 career games, including a .319 SLG, .297 OBA, .616 OPS, -17 RCAA in 117 games with the 2004 Marlins and Royals.
11) The Mariners placed 1B-DH Bucky Jacobsen on the 60 day DL and sent Ps George Sherrill and Dan Reichert to the minors.
Jacobsen is recovering from knee surgery. He hit .500 SLG, .335 OBA, .835 OPS, 5 RCAA in his first 42 career games.
12) The Cubs released DH Dave Hansen.
Hansen has 21 RCAA/.739 OPS in 1170 career games, including a .349 SLG, .367 OBA, .716 OPS, -1 RCAA in 86 games with the 2004 Mariners and Padres.
13) The Devil Rays claimed OF Michael Restovich off waivers from the Twins.
Restovich has 1 RCAA/.807 OPS in 61 career games, including a .447 SLG, .314 OBA, .761 OPS, 0 RCAA in 29 games in 2004.
14) The Twins sent INF Augie Ojeda, 3B Terry Tiffee and C Chris Heintz and P Willie Eyre to the minors and released P C.J. Nitkowski.
Nitkowski has a 5.35 ERA/-36 RSAA in 329 career games, including a 5.73 ERA/-5 RSAA in 41 games with the 2004 Braves and Yankees.
15) The BlueJays designated P Kerry Ligtenberg for assignment and sent Ps Scott Downs and Ryan Glynn to the minors.
16) The Rangers added INF Mark DeRosa to the 40 man roster.
17) The Rockies placed P Chin Hui Tsao on the 15 day DL, retroactive to March 25, released P Darren Oliver and sent C Pascual Matos and P David Cortes to the minors.
Tsao has shoulder inflammation. He has a 5.64 ERA/-5 RSAA in 19 career games, including a 3.86 ERA/1 RSAA in 10 games in 2004.
Oliver has a 5.07 ERA/-48 RSAA in 306 career games, including a 5.94 ERA/-14 RSAA in 27 games (10 starts) with the 2004 Marlins and Astros.
18) The Royals sent Ps Dennis Tankersley and Chris George to the minors.
19) The Devil Rays returned P Angel Garcia to the Twins.
Garcia was a Rule 5 draftee.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article