Around the Majors: Guillen tradedby Lee Sinins
November 20, 2004
1) The Angels traded LF Jose Guillen to the Expos for RF Juan Rivera and SS Maicer Izturis.
After -20 RCAA/.653 OPS and 27 RCAA/.928 OPS seasons, Guillen hit .497 SLG, .352 OBA, .849 OPS, 15 RCAA in 148 games. He has a .764 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -44 RCAA in 898 games.
Rivera has 5 RCAA/.790 OPS in 222 career games, including a .465 SLG, .364 OBA, .829 OPS, 12 RCAA in 134 games in 2004.
Izturis had a .318 SLG, .286 OBA, .603 OPS, -5 RCAA in his first 32 career games.
2) According to NY Newsday, the Yankees have offered free agent P Pedro Martinez a 3 year contract, for approximately $38 million. According to the Boston Globe, the Redsox countered that by increasing their offer.
According to the Bergen Record, the Yankees have offered Martinez 4 years, $50 million. According to NY Newsday, there's no truth to the $50 million rumor.
According to the Boston Herald, the Mets are expected to join the Martinez sweepstakes.
3) The Mariners traded P Randall Williams to the Padres for INF Billy Hogan.
Williams had a 5.79 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 6 career games.
4) The Mariners added INF Mike Morse and OFs Wladimir Balentien and Shin-Soo Choo and removed SS Ramon Santiago from the 40 man roster.
5) The Indians added OF Franklin Gutierrez and Ps Fausto Carmona and Jake Dittler to the 40 man roster.
6) The Indians exercised their 2005 option on P Scott Sauerbeck.
Sauerbeck missed the entire 2004 season, due to shoulder surgery. He has a 3.71 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.42, and 26 RSAA in 367 games.
7) The Mets are reportedly about to re-sign free agent P Kris Benson. But, the AP report that says they are also about to re-sign P Al Leiter is contradicted by multiple reports today in the NY media.
8) The Whitesox re-signed P Jon Garland to a 1 year, $3.4 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After 4.58 ERA/0 RSAA and 4.51 ERA/-1 RSAA seasons, Garland had a 4.89 ERA/1 RSAA in 33 starts (34 games). He has a 4.68 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.57, and 2 RSAA in 149 games.
9) The Cubs are reportedly about to re-sign free agent P Glendon Rusch.
10) According to the Newark Star Ledger, the Yankees and Marlins are interested in free agent P Al Leiter.
11) The Rangers added 1B-DH Jason Botts and Ps Josh Rupe, Nick Masset and Agustin Montero to the 40 man roster. They also claimed INF Ruddy Yan off waivers from the Whitesox and added him to the 40 man roster.
12) According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, MLB has instituted a new system for when teams ask for "advice" on how much to offer free agents. The request must be in writing, they will fill out a form and the union will eventually get a copy of the forms.
13) According to the NY Daily News, the Mets are interested in Expos 1B Nick Johnson.
14) According to the Denver Post, the Rangers have increased their interest in Rockies P Shawn Chacon.
15) The Pirates designated 1B Carlos Rivera, INF Abraham Nunez and OFs J.J. Davis and Tony Alvarez for assignment and added 1B Brad Eldred, OFs Chris Duffy, Rajai Davis and Nate McLouth and Ps Jeff Miller, Matt Peterson and Leo Nunez to the 40 man roster.
16) The Whitesox added INFs Casey Rogowski and Pedro Lopez and Ps Kris Honel, Sean Tracey, Paulino Reynoso and Matt Smith.
17) The Mets added OFs Ambiorix Concepcion and Angel Pagan and P Matt Lindstrom to the 40 man roster.
18) The Devil Rays released utilityman Damian Rolls, 3B Geoff Blum and P Jeremi Gonzalez and added Ps Chris Seddon, Jason Hammel and Brian Stokes to the 40 man roster.
19) According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Brewers are interested in free agent C Damian Miller.
20) The BlueJays added 3B John Hattig, INF Raul Tablado, OF Miguel Negron and Ps Vince Perkins and Ismael Ramirez and removed P Seung Song from the 40 man roster.
21) The Yankees added 2B Robinson Cano and P Colter Bean to the 40 man roster.
22) The Giants added OFs Fred Lewis and Dan Ortmeier and Ps Scott Munter, Brian Burres and Erick Threets and removed INFs Jamie Athas and Brian Dallimore and OF Carlos Valderrama from the 40 man roster.
23) The Rangers signed 2B Esteban German, INF Manny Alexander, OFs Chad Allen, Jason Conti and Andres Torres and Ps Vladimir Nunez, Shane Bazzell, John Wasdin, Rosman Garcia, Jason Standridge, Lou Pote, Agustin Montero and Jose Veras to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training. They also signed 1B-OF Jason Hart and INF Jace Brewer to minor league contracts.
24) The A's signed OFs Jack Cust, Hiram Bocachica and Shawn Garrett, utilityman Jermaine Clark and Ps Jimmy Serrano, Evan Fahner and Billy Sylvester to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training and signed Ps Britt Reames and Steve Smyth to minor league contracts.
25) The Astros added OF Luke Scott and Ps Jared Gothreaux, Wandy Rodriguez, Mark McLemore and Juan Gutierrez and removed P Jeremy Griffiths from the 40 man roster.
26) The Marlins signed P Jim Crowell and OF Matt Padgett to minor league contracts.
27) The Orioles added 2B Mike Fontenot and C Eli Whiteside and removed P Ryan Hannaman from the 40 man roster.
28) The Diamondbacks added OF Marland Williams and Ps Bill Murphy, Jason Bulger, Enrique Gonzalez, Dustin Nippert, Ramon Antonio Pena and Justin Wechsler and removed INFs Tim Olson and Andy Green and OF Doug DeVore from the 40 man roster.
29) The Rockies added 2B Jayson Nixon, INF Ryan Shealy, OF Jeff Salazar and Ps Ubaldo Jimenez, Juan Morillo and Ryan Speier to the 40 man roster.
30) The A's added OF Jason Perry, Cs John Baker and Jeremy Brown and P Chris Mabeus to the 40 man roster.
31) The Reds added Cs Dane Sardinha and Miguel Perez and Ps Dustin Moseley and Daylan Childress to the 40 man roster.
32) The Tigers added P Mark Woodyard and removed Ps Nate Cornejo, Matt Roney and Felix Sanchez and INF Don Kelly from the 40 man roster.
33) The Marlins added 1B Jason Stokes, OF Eric Reed and Ps Yorman Bazardo, Randy Messenger and Chris Resop and removed P Lincoln Holdzkom from the 40 man roster.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article