Around the Majors: Lohse wins in arbitrationby Lee Sinins
February 12, 2005
1) Twins P Kyle Lohse won his arbitration case. He'll receive $2.4 million, instead of the team's offer of $2.15 million.
After 4.23 ERA/3 RSAA and 4.61 ERA/0 RSAA seasons, Lohse had a 5.34 ERA/-13 RSAA in 34 starts (35 games). He has a 4.86 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.54, and -22 RSAA in 119 games.
2) Mariners 1B Richie Sexson was arrested last week on DWI charges. According to the police report, the officer says there was a "strong odor of intoxicants emitting from the driver's window" and an opened 6 pack of beer in the back seat. He is also accused of failing field sobriety tests and refusing to take a breathalyzer on the spot. But, then after an hour, he agreed and barely passed. Sexson had initially been pulled off for speeding.
After 25 RCAA/.867 OPS and 33 RCAA/.927 OPS seasons, Sexson hit .578 SLG, .337 OBA, .914 OPS, 3 RCAA in an injury ruined 23 game season with the Diamondbacks. He has a .877 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and 83 RCAA in 836 games.
3) A federal judge upheld an arbitration panel's ruling and threw out a suit by the Expos former limited partners that included a claim that former owner Jeffrey Loria conspired with MLB to eliminate the Expos and allow him to buy the Marlins.
4) The Devil Rays re-signed P Travis Harper to a 1 year, $745,000 contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After 5.46 ERA/-9 RSAA and 3.77 ERA/8 RSAA seasons, Harper had a 3.89 ERA/5 RSAA in 52 games. He has a 4.49 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.58, and 1 RSAA in 158 games.
5) The Mets signed P Jose Rosado to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
Rosado, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2000, has a 4.27 ERA/-48 RSAA in 125 career games.
6) The Rockies signed C Tom Wilson and P Scott Chiasson to minor league contracts, with invitations to spring training.
Wilson has -11 RCAA/.714 OPS in 214 career games, including -2 RCAA/.397 OPS in 13 games with the 2004 Mets and Dodgers.
Chiasson had a 11.12 ERA/-9 RSAA in 10 games with the 2001-02 Cubs.
7) According to the Denver Post, nobody's willing to trade any prospects for Rockies C Charles Johnson since the team has said he'll be released at the end of spring training. Johnson's going into spring training as the 3rd string C, behind J.D. Closser and Todd Greene.
8) The Diamondbacks signed P Juan Acevedo to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
Acevedo, who was out of the majors in 2004, has a 4.33 ERA/15 RSAA in 366 career games.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article