Around the Majors: McGriff’s designated for assignmentby Lee Sinins
July 17, 2004
1) The Devil Rays designated 1B Fred McGriff for assignment, sent utilityman Damian Rolls to the minors and called up INF Jorge Cantu and OF Joey Gathright.
McGriff will take a few days to decide whether he will be retiring. After 18 RCAA/.858 OPS and -1 RCAA/.750 OPS seasons, he is hitting .306 SLG, .272 OBA, .577 OPS, -5 RCAA in 27 games. McGriff has a .886 career OPS, compared to his league average of .752, and 481 RCA in 2460 games.
After -12 RCAA/.666 OPS in his only year with more than 100 games, Rolls is off to a .232 SLG, .278 OBA, .510 OPS, -7 RCAA start in his first 30 games. He has a .647 career OPS, compared to his league average of .764, and -34 RCAA in 243 games.
Gathright had a .273 SLG, .360 OBA, .633 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 7 career games.
2) The Orioles passed the BlueJays into sole possession of 4th place in the AL East.
3) The Indians passed the Tigers into sole possession of 3rd place in the AL Central.
4) The Reds passed the Brewers into sole possession of 3rd place in the NL Central.
5) Sammy Sosa watch--hit #556, is 7 behind Reggie Jackson for 8th place on the all time HR list.
6) Jeff Bagwell tied Cal Ripken for 32nd place on the all time HR list, with 431.
7) Gary Sheffield tied Joe Carter for 41st place on the all time HR list, with 396.
8) Mike Piazza passed Rocky Colavito into 55th place on the all time HR list, with 375.
9) Cardinals P Mike Lincoln had season ending elbow ligament replacement surgery.
He's been on the DL since May 4.
10) The Royals activated OF Aaron Guiel from the DL and sent him to the minors.
Guiel has -21 RCAA/.741 OPS in 193 career games, including a .360 SLG, .279 OBA, .639 OPS, -4 RCAA in 24 games in 2004.
11) The Giants sold minor league P Adam Pettyjohn to the A's.
Pettyjohn had a 5.82 ERA/-10 RSAA in 16 games with the 2001 Tigers.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see
<< Return to Article