Around the Majors: Pirates signingsby Lee Sinins
November 13, 2004
1) On Thursday, the Pirates re-signed Ps Jose Mesa (1 year, $2.5 million, with an option for 2006) and Salomon Torres (2 year, $2.6 million) before they would have become free agents.
After 2.97 ERA/6 RSAA and 6.52 ERA/-16 RSAA seasons, Mesa had a 3.25 ERA/7 RSAA in 70 games. He has a 4.27 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.41, and 2 RSAA in 832 games.
After a 4.76 ERA/-7 RSAA in 2003, Torres had a 2.64 ERA/15 RSAA in 84 games. He has a 4.78 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.37, and -29 RSAA in 74 games.
2) According to the Newark Star Ledger, the Yankees are close to signing free agent P Eric Milton.
3) According to NY Newsday, the Diamondbacks are just waiting for Randy Johnson to request a trade and then they will start listening to offers for him.
4) According to the Denver Post, the Rockies are expected to trade C Charles Johnson within the next month.
5) The Reds re-signed C Jason LaRue to a 1 year, $3 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration, and signed P Randy Keisler to a minor league contract.
After -14 RCAA/.729 OPS and -8 RCAA/.743 OPS seasons, LaRue hit .431 SLG, .334 OBA, .765 OPS, 1 RCAA in 114 games. He has a .734 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and -47 RCAA in 533 games.
Keisler has a 7.62 ERA/-23 RSAA in 16 career games.
6) The Orix Buffaloes signed OF Karim Garcia.
After 3 RCAA/.889 OPS and -6 RCAA/.724 OPS seasons, Garcia had a .388 SLG, .265 OBA, .653 OPS, -15 RCAA in 85 games with the Mets and Orioles. He has a .703 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -57 RCAA in 488 games.
7) The Marlins signed 1B Larry Barnes, OFs Mark Little and Chad Green, C Jason Hill and Ps Frank Castillo, Bryan Corey, Bart Miadich and Travis Smith to minor league contracts.
Barnes has -9 RCAA/.393 OPS in 46 career games.
Little has -11 RCAA/.684 OPS in 148 career games, including a .200 SLG, .261 OBA, .461 OPS, -2 RCAA in 11 games with the 2004 Indians.
Castillo has a 4.55 ERA/-42 RSAA in 296 career games, including a 0.00 ERA/1 RSAA in 2 games with the 2004 Redsox.
Corey has a 7.20 ERA/-2 RSAA in 4 career games.
Miadich has a 6.75 ERA/-3 RSAA in 12 career games.
Smith has a 6.61 ERA/-28 RSAA in 29 career games, including a 6.20 ERA/-9 RSAA in 16 games (4 starts) with the 2004 Braves.
8) The Royals signed 3B Chris Truby to a 1 year contract.
Truby has -44 RCAA/.657 OPS in 263 career games and didn't appear in the majors in 2004.
9) The BlueJays signed INF Jason Alfaro and Ps Matt Whiteside, Mike Nannini, Adrian Burnside, Spike Lundberg and Jesse Carlson to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
Alfaro was 2 for 11, with -2 RCAA, in 7 games with the 2004 Astros.
Whiteside, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2001, has a 5.10 ERA/-25 RSAA in 284 career games.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article