Around the Majors: Prior is injuredby Lee Sinins
July 15, 2004
1) Cubs P Mark Prior had to leave yesterday's game, in the 2nd inning, due to discomfort in the back of his elbow. He'll be examined today.
After starting his career with 3.32 ERA/9 RSAA AND 2.43 ERA/42 RSAA seasons, Prior is off to a 4.06 ERA/1 RSAA start in his first 8 starts.
2) The Braves tied the Phillies for 1st place in the NL East.
3) The Mariners designated 1B John Olerud and C Pat Borders for assignment, activated C Miguel Olivo from the DL and called up 1B-DH Bucky Jacobsen and P George Sherrill.
After 41 RCAA/.893 OPS and 2 RCAA/.761 OPS seasons, Olerud is hitting .360 SLG, .354 OBA, .714 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 78 games. He has a .867 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and 395 RCAA in 2098 games. According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, within the past couple of weeks, Olerud vetoed a trade to the Giants for J.T. Snow.
Borders had a .283 SLG, .204 OBA, .487 OPS, -6 RCAA in the astronomical amount of 19 games. While he appeared in the majors in 5 out of the past 6 years, that's more games than he's appeared in since 1998 and his 55 PA are almost as many as he had in the total of those 5 years (61). Borders has a .669 career OPS, compared to his league average of .742, and -116 RCAA in 1041 games.
After starting his career with -14 RCAA/.646 OPS in 114 games in 2003 (he also appeared in 6 games as a September callup in 2002), Olivo is hitting .479 SLG, .310 OBA, .790 OPS, -4 RCAA in 48 games (first 46 with the Whitesox).
4) The Orioles moved into a virtual tie, with the BlueJays, for 4th place in the AL East. The BlueJays lead in PCT.
5) Alex Rodriguez tied Ralph Kiner for 59th place on the all time HR list, with 369.
6) Larry Walker passed Lee May and tied Greg Vaughn for 65th place on the all time HR list, with 355.
7) The Twins placed 1B Doug Mientkiewicz on the 15 day DL.
Mientkiewicz has soreness in his left wrist. After 5 RCAA/.756 OPS and 23 RCAA/.843 OPS seasons, he is off to a .364 SLG, .334 OBA, .698 OPS, -10 RCAA start in his 75 games. Mientkiewicz has a .775 career OPS, compared to his league average of .768, and 15 RCAA in 640 games.
8) The Braves activated 2B Marcus Giles from the DL, designated INF Jesse Garcia for assignment and activated OF DeWayne Wise from the DL and sent him to the minors.
After 43 RCAA/.917 OPS in his first season as a starter, Giles is hitting .488 SLG, .381 OBA, .869 OPS, 7 RCAA in his first 33 games. He has a .842 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and 39 RCAA in 314 games.
Garcia has -21 RCAA/.542 OPS in 155 career games, including a .330 SLG, .265 OBA, .595 OPS, -8 RCAA in a career high 50 games in 2004.
Wise has -16 RCAA/.595 OPS in 119 career games, including a .443 SLG, .268 OBA, .710 OPS, -4 RCAA in a career high 49 games in 2004.
9) The Diamondbacks placed C Robby Hammock and P Andrew Good on the 15 day DL, activated C Brent Mayne from the DL, called up P Mike Fetters and moved P Shane Reynolds from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Hammock has -16 RCAA/.731 OPS in 112 career games, including a .355 SLG, .263 OBA, .618 OPS, -15 RCAA in 47 games in 2004.
Good has a 5.30 ERA/-7 RSAA in 33 career games, including a 5.31 ERA/-3 RSAA in 17 games (2 starts) in 2004.
After -27 RCAA/.619 OPS and -25 RCAA/.651 OPS seasons, Mayne is off to a .295 SLG, .311 OBA, .606 OPS, -7 RCAA start in his first 30 games. He has a .684 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and -170 RCAA in 1226 games.
After pitching in just 5 games in an injury ruined 2003 season, Fetters hasn't made his 2004 debut yet. He has a 3.73 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.43, and 51 RSAA in 597 games.
10) The Reds activated 1B Sean Casey from the DL, sent C Corky Miller to the minors and removed minor league OF Stephen Smitherman from the 40 man roster after he cleared waivers.
After -15 RCAA/.696 OPS and -2 RCAA/.758 OPS seasons, Casey is having a career year, hitting .596 SLG, .396 OBA, .992 OPS, 33 RCAA in his first 73 games. He has a .839 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and 82 RCA in 981 games.
Miller has -11 RCAA/.688 OPS in 77 career games, including 0 for 16, with 6 BB and -3 RCAA, in 7 games in 2004.
11) The Yankees placed P Sam Marsonek on the 15 day DL and called up P Juan Padilla.
Marsonek strained his right knee.
12) The Redsox activated P Ramiro Mendoza from the DL and sent 3B Kevin Youkilis to the minors.
After 3.44 ERA/9 RSAA and 6.75 ERA/-15 RSAA seasons, Mendoza has pitched 2 shutout innings in 2 games (1 RSAA) in 2004. He has a 4.30 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.67, and 20 RSAA in 316 games.
Youkilis hit .434 SLG, .397 OBA, .832 OPS, 4 RCAA in his first 38 career games.
13) The Tigers activated utilityman Brandon Inge from the DL and placed CF Alex Sanchez on the 15 day DL.
After -18 RCAA/.599 OPS and -22 RCAA/.605 OPS seasons, Inge is off to a .482 SLG, .368 OBA, .851 OPS, 6 RCAA start in his first 60 games. He has a .616 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and -55 RCAA in 338 games.
Sanchez has a strained hamstring. After -3 RCAA/.701 OPS and -15 RCAA/.681 OPS seasons in his first couple of years as a starter, he is hitting .394 SLG, .338 OBA, .732 OPS, -5 RCAA in his first 69 games. Sanchez has a .692 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and -28 RCAA in 355 games.
14) The Expos activated P John Patterson from the DL, called up INF Henry Mateo and sent P Shawn Hill to the minors.
Patterson has a 4.74 ERA/-3 RSAA in 27 career games, including a 3.57 ERA/1 RSAA in 4 starts in 2004.
Mateo has -14 RCAA/.574 OPS in 128 career games, including 0 for 1 in 1 game in 2004.
Hill had a 16.00 ERA/-12 RSAA in his first 3 career starts.
15) BlueJays GM J.P. Ricciardi is expected to meet with 1B Carlos Delgado in the next few days to find out if he would be willing to waive his no trade clause.
16) The Mets will call up P Scott Erickson today.
After missing the entire 2003 season, Erickson will make his 2004 debut today. He has a 4.51 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and -6 RSAA in 355 games and hasn't had a positive RSAA since 1998.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see
<< Return to Article