Around the Majors: Randy Johnson rumorsby Lee Sinins
July 07, 2004
1) Redsox GM Theo Epstein vehemently denied a rumor that he plans on meeting with Randy Johnson next week, to try to get Johnson to agree to waive his no trade clause. According to Epstein, "There's nothing going on with Randy Johnson, zero." The Redsox would need the commissioner's office's permission, along with the Diamondbacks's, to talk to Johnson, while the Boston Globe says a high ranking MLB official says Selig hasn't been approach on this.
According to the Boston Herald, "Over the past few days, baseball sources have indicated that the Sox are among a handful of teams intent on making a serious pitch for Johnson if and when he is traded from the Arizona Diamondbacks. Other teams are believed to include the Anaheim Angels and, of course, the New York Yankees, each of whom may have advantages over the Sox in a potential bidding war."
2) The Rangers moved into sole possession of 1st place in the AL West.
3) The Dodgers moved into a virtue tie, with the Padres, for 1st place in the NL West. The Dodgers lead in PCT.
4) Barry Bonds watch--hit #681, is 19 away from 700, is 33 behind Ruth, is 74 behind Aaron.
5) Manny Ramirez passed Ralph Kiner and tied Gil Hodges for 57th place on the all time HR list, with 370.
6) Rafael Palmeiro watch--hit #540, is 8 behind Mike Schmidt for 10th place on the all time HR list.
7) Angels CF Garret Anderson hit his 200th career HR.
After 28 RCAA/.871 OPS and 33 RCAA/.885 OPS seasons, Anderson is hitting .494 SLG, .360 OBA, .854 OPS, 9 RCAA in his first 40 games. Anderson has a .809 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 31 RCAA in 1405 games.
8) On Tuesday, Whitesox 1B Paul Konerko hit his 150th career HR.
After 20 RCAA/.857 OPS and -22 RCAA/.704 OPS seasons, Konerko is hitting .552 SLG, .372 OBA, .924 OPS, 12 RCAA in his first 76 games. He has a .821 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and 23 RCAA in 886 games.
9) On Tuesday, Mariners 3B Scott Spiezio hit his 100th career HR.
After 12 RCAA/.807 OPS and 6 RCAA/.779 OPS seasons, Spiezio is off to a .383 SLG, .297 OBA, .680 OPS, -6 RCAA start in his first 66 games. He has a .753 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -25 RCAA in 998 games.
10) According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners have increased efforts to trade SS Rich Aurilia and a deal could come in the next few days.
11) According to the Rocky Mountain News, if the Rockies ask RF Larry Walker to waive his no trade clause to go to a contender, he'll consider it.
12) Redsox CF Johnny Damon reached 1500 career hits.
After 24 RCAA/.799 OPS and 2 RCAA/.750 OPS seasons, Damon is hitting .456 SLG, .395 OBA, .851 OPS, 13 RCAA in his first 79 games. He has a .777 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 60 RCAA in 1336 games.
13) Redsox SS Nomar Garciaparra reached 500 career extra base hits.
After 30 RCAA/.880 OPS and 26 RCAA/.870 OPS seasons, Garciaparra is hitting .489 SLG, .333 OBA, .822 OPS, 2 RCAA in his first 22 games. He has a .923 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and 245 RCAA in 950 games.
Garciaparra ranks 5th among SS in extra base hits vs. the league average--
EXTRA BASE HITS DIFF PLAYER LEAGUE 1 Honus Wagner 359 786 427 2 Alex Rodriguez 217 652 435 3 Ernie Banks 200 567 367 4 Joe Cronin 175 770 595 5 Nomar Garciaparra 170 501 331 6 Cal Ripken 154 883 729 7 Vern Stephens 142 505 363 8 Arky Vaughan 136 541 405 9 Bill Dahlen 124 620 496 10 Robin Yount 92 524 432
14) Twins 1B Doug Mientkiewicz was scratched from yesterday's lineup, after suffering a bruised left wrist, when he was hit by a ball during batting practice.
After 5 RCAA/.756 OPS and 23 RCAA/.843 OPS seasons, Mientkiewicz is off to a .364 SLG, .334 OBA, .698 OPS, -11 RCAA start in his 75 games. He has a .775 career OPS, compared to his league average of .768, and 14 RCAA in 640 games.
15) The Rockies placed P Joe Kennedy on the 15 day DL.
Kennedy was scratched from yesterday's start, due to shoulder inflammation. After 4.53 ERA/-1 RSAA and 6.13 ERA/-24 RSAA seasons, he is off to a 3.95 ERA/16 RSAA start in his first 17 starts. Kennedy has a 4.79 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.45, and -8 RSAA in 99 games.
16) The Mets activated C Vance Wilson from the DL and sent C Tom Wilson to the minors.
After -5 RCAA/.682 OPS and -13 RCAA/.666 OPS seasons, Vance is off to a .412 SLG, .308 OBA, .719 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 40 games. He has a .675 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -24 RCAA in 246 games.
Wilson has -10 RCAA/.720 OPS in 205 career games, including 1 for 4, with a BB and -1 RCAA, in 4 games in 2004.
17) The Orioles sent OF Chad Mottola and P Rick Bauer to the minors. Mottola, who was removed from the 40 man roster when he cleared waivers, was sent down to make room on the 25 man roster for C Ken Huckaby and another move will be made today to replace Bauer.
Mottola has -7 RCAA/.604 OPS in 49 career games, including -2 RCAA/.679 OPS in 6 games in 2004.
After 3.98 ERA/4 RSAA and 4.55 ERA/-2 RSAA seasons, Bauer is off to a 6.11 ERA/-5 RSAA start in his first 18 games. He has a 4.60 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.50, and -5 RSAA in 115 games.
18) Expos 2B Jose Vidro missed yesterday's game, due to a sore right knee, and is day to day.
After 29 RCAA/.868 OPS and 9 RCAA/.866 OPS seasons, Vidro is hitting .448 SLG, .357 OBA, .806 OPS, 5 RCAA in his first 79 games. He has a .836 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and 63 RCAA in 942 games.
19) The Pirates sent P Mark Corey to the minors and called up P Willis Roberts.
After 8.59 ERA/-10 RSAA and 5.34 ERA/-4 RSAA seasons, Corey has a 6.23 ERA/-3 RSAA in his first 14 games. He has a 6.85 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.23, and -19 RSAA in 64 games.
After 3.36 ERA/8 RSAA and 5.72 ERA/-6 RSAA seasons with the Orioles, Roberts made his Pirates, and 2004, debut yesterday. He has a 4.60 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.49, and -10 RSAA in 140 games.
20) Pirates SS Jack Wilson was scratched from yesterday's lineup, due to a left knee irritation, and is day to day.
After -28 RCAA/.638 OPS and -27 RCAA/.656 OPS seasons, Wilson is hitting .519 SLG, .360 OBA, .879 OPS, 19 RCAA in his first 79 games. He has a .670 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -71 RCAA in 484 games.
21) The Astros called up P Brandon Duckworth and sent INF Chris Burke to the minors.
After 5.41 ERA/-30 RSAA and 4.94 ERA/-9 RSAA seasons, Duckworth is off to a 7.56 ERA/-9 RSAA start in his first 13 games (4 starts). He has a 5.07 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.22, and -42 RSAA in 78 games.
Burke was 0 for 5, with -1 RCAA, in his first 3 career games.
22) The Phillies activated OF Ricky Ledee from the DL and sent INF Shawn Wooten to the minors.
After 2 RCAA/.760 OPS and 5 RCAA/.809 OPS seasons, Ledee is hitting .584 SLG, .384 OBA, .968 OPS, 7 RCAA in his first 53 games. He has a .752 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and -18 RCAA in 615 games.
After 1 RCAA/.773 OPS and -11 RCAA/.653 OPS seasons, Wooten is off to a .245 SLG, .245 OBA, .490 OPS, -7 RCAA start in his first 29 games. He has a .717 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and -14 RCAA in 262 games.
23) The Rangers designated P Nick Bierbrodt for assignment and called up P Nick Regilio.
Bierbrodt has a 6.66 ERA/-32 RSAA in 38 career games, including a 5.82 ERA/-1 RSAA in 4 starts in 2004.
Correction from yesterday--Jose Hernandez's HR on Tuesday wasn't his 150th, it was his 151st.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see
<< Return to Article