Around the Majors: Roster movesby Lee Sinins
June 28, 2004
1) The Brewers activated 3B Wes Helms from the DL and sent utilityman Jeff Liefer to the minors.
After -9 RCAA/.687 OPS and -2 RCAA/.780 OPS seasons, Helms is off to a .341 SLG, .303 OBA, .644 OPS, -8 RCAA start in his first 35 games. He has a .735 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -27 RCAA in 367 games.
After -8 RCAA/.667 OPS and -14 RCAA/.535 OPS seasons, Liefer is off to a .393 SLG, .258 OBA, .651 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 16 games. He has a .693 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and -32 RCAA in 269 games.
3) The Royals placed 3B Joe Randa on the 15 day DL and moved P Kevin Appier from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Randa will have arthroscopic surgery today to repair torn cartilage in his right knee. After -10 RCAA/.768 OPS and -2 RCAA/.800 OPS seasons, he is hitting .387 SLG, .348 OBA, .735 OPS, 2 RCAA in his first 68 games. Randa has a .765 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -50 RCAA in 1223 games.
4) The Devil Rays sold utilityman Jose Bautista to the Royals.
5) The Devil Rays sent P Chad Gaudin to the minors and called up P Bartolome Fortunato.
Gaudin has a 3.97 ERA/4 RSAA in 33 games, including a 4.45 ERA/0 RSAA in 18 games (4 starts) in 2004.
6) The Diamondbacks activated P Shane Reynolds from the DL, sent P Greg Aquino to the minors and moved C Alan Zinter from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
After 4.86 ERA/-5 RSAA and 5.43 ERA/-24 RSAA seasons, Reynolds made his 2004 debut by starting yesterday. He has a 4.09 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.30, and 19 RSAA in 305 games.
7) The Phillies moved into a virtual tie for 1st place with the Marlins in the NL East, with the Phillies leading in PCT.
8) The Mets activated P Scott Erickson from the DL and sent him to the minors.
Erickson agreed to the assignment, which is contingent on him clearing waivers. There was speculation that he was going to refuse the assignment and become a free agent.
9) The Mets sent OF Gerald Williams to the minors after he cleared waivers. He had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on June 24.
10) Phillies 3B David Bell hit for the cycle.
After 0 RCAA/.762 OPS and -19 RCAA/.579 OPS seasons, Bell is hitting .473 SLG, .362 OBA, .835 OPS, 5 RCAA in his first 67 games. He has a .712 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -76 RCAA in 1032 games.
11) The Yankees signed P C.J. Nitkowski to a minor league contract.
He was recently released by the Braves.
12) The Marlins called up OF Chris Aguila and designated P Toby Borland for assignment.
Borland has a 4.17 ERA/3 RSAA in 207 career games, including a 5.40 ERA/-2 RSAA in 18 games in 2004, which were the most he's had in any season since 1996.
13) Diamondbacks INF Matt Kata will have season ending surgery today to repair the labrum in his left shoulder.
Kata's been on the DL since May 30.
14) According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Indians could be interested in Rockies P Shawn Estes.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see
<< Return to Article