Around the Majors: Rumorsby Lee Sinins
November 15, 2004
1) According to the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles are interested in free agent P Carl Pavano.
2) According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Phillies made an offer to free agent P Cal Pavano.
3) According to the Washington Post, the Expos withdrew a 2 year contract offer to free agent 3B Tony Batista and are now interested in free agent 3B Corey Koskie and Vinny Castilla.
4) According to the Detroit News, the Tigers are interested in free agent 2B Jeff Kent.
5) The Angels exercised their 2005 option on C Bengie Molina and declined their option on P Ramon Ortiz.
After -27 RCAA/.596 OPS and -6 RCAA/.746 OPS seasons, Molina had a .404 SLG, .313 OBA, .717 OPS, -14 RCAA in 97 games. He has a .690 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -87 RCAA in 597 games.
Ortiz will be arbitration eligible and is a candidate to be nontendered. After 3.77 ERA/13 RSAA and 5.20 ERA/-20 RSAA seasons, Ortiz had a 4.43 ERA/2 RSAA in 34 games (14 starts). He has a 4.60 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.59, and -5 RSAA in 158 games.
6) The Mariners hired coaches Carlos Garcia (1B) and Jeff Newman (3B).
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article