Around the Majors: Rumorsby Lee Sinins
December 01, 2004
1) The Yankees say they are out of the Randy Johnson sweepstakes, since the Diamondbacks are asking for too much.
2) According to the Chicago Tribune, the Astros made a 6 or 7 year, $13.5 million/year offer to free agent CF Carlos Beltran.
3) A's P Tim Hudson says if he doesn't have a new contract by March 1, he'll break off talks and will become a free agent after the 2005 season. Meanwhile, there are rumors that he's going to be put on the trading block.
4) The Pirates are reportedly interested in Rockies C Charles Johnson. The Rockies have also been having trade talks with the Devil Rays, but Johnson may be reluctant to waive his no trade clause to go to them.
5) According to the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks have made offers to free agents 3B Troy Glaus and P Russ Ortiz.
6) The Brewers re-signed C Chad Moeller to a 1 year, $700,000 contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After -8 RCAA/.770 OPS in his first year with more than 48 games, Moeller had a .303 SLG, .265 OBA, .568 OPS, -31 RCAA in a career high 101 games. He has a .660 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and -58 RCAA in 289 games.
7) The Pirates released 1B Carlos Rivera, INF Abraham Nunez and OF Tony Alvarez. They were each removed from the 40 man roster when they were designated for assignment on November 19.
8) The Pirates signed INF Jorge Velandia, OF Jon Nunnally and Ps Brian Reith, Ron Chiavacci and Chris Enochs to minor league contracts.
Velandia has -20 RCAA/.432 OPS in 150 career games.
Nunnally, who hasn't played in the majors since 2000, has 16 RCAA/.823 OPS in 364 career games.
Reith has a 5.92 ERA/-24 RSAA in 73 career games, including a 7.27 ERA/-9 RSAA in 22 games with the 2004 Reds.
9) The Rangers re-signed P Michael Tejera to a minor league contract.
Tejera has a 5.06 ERA/-27 RSAA in 108 career games, including a 13.50 ERA/-9 RSAA in 8 games with the 2004 Marlins and Rangers.
10) The Astros signed 3B Mike Coolbaugh, OF Barry Wesson, Cs Chris Tremie and Dax Norris and P Travis Driskill to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
Coolbaugh has -8 RCAA/.585 OPS in 44 career games.
Wesson has -3 RCAA/.574 OPS in 25 career games.
Tremie has -05 RCAA/.393 OPS in 22 career games, including 1 game, with no plate appearances, with the 2004 Astros.
Driskill has a 5.29 ERA/-18 RSAA in 54 career games, including a 6.48 ERA/-1 RSAA in 5 games with the 2004 Rockies.
11) The Brewers signed P Rigo Beltran to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Beltran has a 4.40 ERA/-1 RSAA in 78 career games, including a 13.50 ERA/-1 RSAA in 2 games with the 2004 Expos.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article