Around the Majors: Season starts tonightby Lee Sinins
April 03, 2005
1) The season starts today.
2) Today's schedule--
Redsox (David Wells) at Yankees (Randy Johnson), 8:00
3) The Angels placed P Kelvim Escobar on the 15 day DL.
Escobar has a sprained elbow. After 4.27 ERA/2 RSAA and 4.29 ERA/9 RSAA seasons, he had a 3.93 ERA/15 RSAA in 33 starts. Escobar has a 4.45 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.67, and 36 RSAA in 334 games.
4) The A's re-signed P Rich Harden to a 4 year, $9 million contract, covering 2005-08, with an option for 2009.
Harden has a 4.12 ERA/12 RSAA in 46 career games, including a 3.99 ERA/14 RSAA in 31 starts in 2004.
5) The Mets traded P Matt Ginter to the Tigers for minor league P Steve Colyer.
Ginter has a 5.32 ERA/-16 RSAA in 78 career games, including a 4.54 ERA/-2 RSAA in 14 starts (15 games) in 2004.
Colyer has a 5.05 ERA/-4 RSAA in 54 career games, including a 6.47 ERA/-7 RSAA in 41 games in 2004.
6) The BlueJays placed P Justin Miller on waivers.
Miller has a 5.77 ERA/-22 RSAA in 44 career games, including a 6.06 ERA/-10 RSAA in 15 starts (19 games) in 2004.
7) The Redsox added 1B David McCarty to the 40 man roster and designated P Mark Malaska for assignment.
8) The Rockies placed INF Desi Relaford and P Matthew Merricks on the 15 day DL, both retroactive to March 25.
After 0 RCAA/.713 OPS and -23 RCAA/.691 OPS seasons, Relaford had a .305 SLG, .296 OBA, .601 OPS, -24 RCAA in 114 games with the Royals. He has a .673 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -109 RCAA in 852 games.
9) The Reds placed INF Anderson Machado and Ps Josh Hancock and Luke Hudson on the 15 day DL and INF Ray Olmedo and P Jung Bong on the 60 day DL.
10) The Padres placed CF Dave Roberts on the 15 day DL, retroactive to March 29
and sent 1B-OF Robert Fick, INFs Jesse Garcia and Damian Jackson, C Michel Hernandez and Ps Joe Dawley, Brian Falkenborg, Steve Sparks and Andy Ashby to the minors.
Roberts has a groin injury. After 9 RCAA/.718 OPS and -9 RCAA/.638 OPS seasons, Roberts had a .379 SLG, .337 OBA, .716 OPS, 1 RCAA in 113 games with the Dodgers and Redsox. He has a .679 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -10 RCAA in 422 games.
11) The Angels sent 1B Casey Kotchman to the minors, added INF Lou Merloni to the 40 man roster and moved DH-OF Tim Salmon from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
12) The Mariners placed SS-2B Pokey Reese, OF Chris Snelling (retroactive to March 25) and P Joel Pineiro (retroactive to March 27) on the 15 day DL, placed P Scott Atchison on the 60 day DL, designated OF Abraham Nunez for assignment and sent Ps Felix Hernandez and Ryan Rowland-Smith to the minors.
Reese has a sore shoulder. After -11 RCAA/.681 OPS and -8 RCAA/.533 OPS seasons, Reese had a .303 SLG, .271 OBA, .574 OPS, -21 RCAA in 96 games with the Redsox. He has a .659 career OPS, compared to his league average of .780, and -126 RCAA in 856 games.
After 3.24 ERA/19 RSAA and 3.78 ERA/15 RSAA seasons, Pineiro had a 4.67 ERA/-7 RSAA in 21 starts. He has a 3.66 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.54, and 43 RSAA in 115 games.
13) The Dodgers sent INFs Norihiro Nakamura and Mike Edwards, C Mike Rose and Ps Ryan Rupe and Mike Venafro to the minors and moved P Darren Dreifort from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
14) The Orioles sent 2B-OF Ramon Nivar, INF Enrique Wilson and Ps Jay Witasick, Eric DuBose to the minors and placed OF Val Majewski and Ps Kurt Ainsworth and Jason Grimsley on the 15 day DL.
15) The Indians sent INF Brandon Phillips to the minors.
1) The Giants placed LF Barry Bonds on the 15 day DL, added P Jeff Fassero to the 40 man roster and sent INFs Lance Niekro, Brian Dallimore and Donaldo Mendez, OFs Julio Ramirez and Adam Shabala, C Yamid Haad and Ps Kevin Correia, Jesse Foppert and Scott Munter to the minors.
Bonds is recovering from knee surgery. After 161 RCAA/1.381 OPS and 115 RCAA/1.278 OPS seasons, Bonds hit .812 SLG, .609 OBA, 1.422 OPS, 152 RCAA in 147 games. He has a 1.053 career OPS, compared to his league average of .749, and 1496 RCAA in 2716 games.
2) The Cubs placed P Mark Prior on the 15 day DL and sent OF David Kelton and P Sergio Mitre to the minors.
Prior has elbow inflammation. After starting his career with 3.32 ERA/9 RSAA and 2.43 ERA/42 RSAA seasons, he had a 4.02 ERA/7 RSAA in 21 starts. Prior has a 3.08 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.25, and 58 RSAA in 70 games.
3) The Whitesox placed DH Frank Thomas on the 15 day DL, retroactive to March 25, and sent P Kevin Walker to the minors.
Thomas is recovering from ankle surgery and is expected to miss the first 5-6 weeks of the season. After 17 RCAA/.834 OPS and 48 RCAA/.952 OPS seasons, Thomas hit .563 SLG, .434 OBA, .997 OPS, 26 RCAA in 74 games. He has a .996 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and 796 RCAA in 1925 games.
4) The A's placed P Chad Bradford on the 15 day DL and sent OFs Hiram Bocachica and Jermaine Clark and Ps Tim Harikkala, Kirk Saarloos, Seth Etherton and Britt Reames to the minors.
Bradford is recovering from back surgery.
5) The Brewers sent INF Trent Durrington, C Pat Borders and P Rick Helling to the minors and added 3B Jeff Cirillo, OF Chris Magruder and P Tommy Phelps to the 40 man roster.
6) The Astros added P Russ Springer to the 40 man roster and sent C Humberto Quintero and Ps Ezequiel Astacio and Mike Gallo to the minors.
7) The Pirates placed C Humberto Cota on the 15 day DL.
Cota has an abdominal injury.
8) The Devil Rays designated P Bobby Seay for assignment, placed CF Rocco Baldelli, C Kevin Cash and P Franklin Nunez on the 15 day DL, added OFs Chris Singleton and Alex Sanchez to the 40 man roster, released OF Dee Brown and sent INF Luis Ordaz to the minors.
Baldelli is recovering from knee surgery. After starting his career with -3 RCAA/.742 OPS, he hit .436 SLG, .326 OBA, .762 OPS, 0 RCAA in 136 games. Baldelli has a .751 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and -3 RCAA in 292 games.
Cash and Nunez both have shoulder tendinitis
9) Yankees P Kevin Brown will miss his first start of the season, and could be headed to the DL, due to a stiff back. Jaret Wright was going to start the year in the bullpen, since the Yankees didn't need to start with 5 starters, but will take Brown's spot in the rotation.
10) The Dodgers placed OF Jayson Werth on the 15 day DL and Ps Brad Penny and Wilson Alvarez on the 15 day DL and added Ps Scott Erickson, Buddy Carlyle, Steve Schmoll and Kelly Wunsch to the 40 man roster and designated 1B Brian Myrow for assignment.
Penny has a biceps injury. After 4.66 ERA/-10 RSAA and 4.13 ERA/-3 RSAA seasons, Penny had a 3.15 ERA/15 RSAA in 24 starts. He was only able to make 3 starts, before being injured, after being acquired in a trade with the Marlins. Penny has a 4.03 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.34, and 8 RSAA in 134 games.
Werth has a broken wrist. He has 5 RCAA/.790 OPS in 130 career games, including a .486 SLG, .338 OBA, .825 OPS, 9 RCAA in 89 games in 2005.
Alvarez has shoulder tendinitis. After 5.28 ERA/-7 RSAA and 2.37 ERA/17 RSAA seasons, he had a 4.03 ERA/1 RSAA in 40 games (15 starts). Alvarez has a 3.94 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.57, and 92 RSAA in 334 games.
11) The Diamondbacks sent P Oscar Villarreal to the minors.
12) The Royals added OF Emil Brown and C Alberto Castillo to the 40 man roster and sent utilityman Joe McEwing and INF Denny Hocking to the minors.
13) The Mets placed P Tyler Yates on the 60 day DL, placed P Alay Soler on the restricted list and added C Ramon Castro and Ps Roberto Hernandez and Manny Aybar to the 40 man roster.
Yates is out for the season, due to a torn rotator cuff.
Soler is having visa problems and is still in the Dominican Republic. Putting him on the restricted list opens up his spot on the 40 man roster.
14) The A's added P Huston Street to the 40 man roster.
15) The Braves added P Adam Bernero to the 40 man roster.
16) The Twins added P Terry Mulholland to the 40 man roster.
17) The Braves sent OFs John Barnes and Esix Snead, C J.C. Boscan and Ps Buddy Hernandez, Kevin Barry, Matt Childers and Zach Miner to the minors.
18) The Reds added SS Rich Aurilia and OF Jacob Cruz to the 40 man roster and sent INF Luis Lopez to the minors
19) The Marlins added PH Lenny Harris and P Brian Moehler to the 40 man roster.
20) The Padres traded minor league OF Todd Donovan to the Dodgers for minor league INF Brett Dowdy.
21) The Mets traded minor league P Pat Mahomes to the Dodgers for a player to be named later.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article