Around the Majors: Urbina’s mother is kidnappedby Lee Sinins
September 02, 2004
1) Tigers P Ugueth Urbina's mother was kidnapped in Venezuela. Urbina left the team to join his family.
After 3.00 ERA/9 RSAA and 2.81 ERA/15 RSAA seasons, Urbina is off to a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA start in his first 54 games. He has a 3.42 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.37, and 68 RSAA in 502 games.
2) The BlueJays will be mathematically eliminated from winning the division title if they lose to the A's or both the Yankees and the Redsox win.
3) The Mariners clinched a losing season for the first time since 1999.
4) The Reds passed the Pirates into sole possession of 4th place in the NL Central.
5) Barry Bonds watch--
OBA--.607, Bonds holds the major league record with .582, in 2002
SLG--.817, on pace for 4th all time, Bonds holds the major league record with .863, 2001
OPS--1.424, Bonds holds the major league record with 1.381, in 2002
RCAA--128, is tied for 12th all time, on pace for 152, Bonds holds the major league record with 169, 2001
BB--189, is 2nd all time, on pace for 225, Bonds holds the major league record with 198, 2002
BB above average--162, is 2nd all time, on pace for 193, Bonds holds the major league record with 163, 2002
career HR--has 696, is 4 away from 700, is 18 behind Ruth, is 59 behind Aaron
career HR above average--has 455, is 3rd all time, is 2 behind Aaron's NL record
career RCAA--1472, is 3 behind Ted Williams for 2nd place on the all time list
6) Alex Rodriguez passed Norm Cash and tied Matt Williams for 53th place on the all time HR list, with 378.
7) The Angels moved DH Tim Salmon from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
8) BlueJays P Josh Towers will be scratched from Sunday's start, due to a strained shoulder.
Towers has a 4.82 ERA/-11 RSAA in 60 career games, including a 4.66 ERA/3 RSAA in 17 starts in 2004.
9) The Indians will call up P Jason Davis.
Davis has a 5.01 ERA/-23 RSAA in 48 career games, including a 6.00 ERA/-18 RSAA in 18 starts in 2004.
10) Redsox DH David Ortiz was out of yesterday's lineup, due to a sore right shoulder. If it doesn't improve, he may have a MRI today.
After 15 RCAA/.839 OPS and 33 RCAA/.961 OPS seasons, Ortiz is hitting .599 SLG, .374 OBA, .973 OPS, 35 RCAA in his first 123 games. He has a .870 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and 82 RCAA in 706 games.
11) The Redsox called up P Brandon Puffer.
Puffer has a 4.75 ERA/-6 RSAA in 82 career games, including a 5.50 ERA/-3 RSAA in 14 games with the 2004 Padres.
12) BlueJays C Gregg Zaun had to leave yesterday's game, after being hit in the elbow by a pitch, and is day to day.
After -13 RCAA/.594 OPS and -9 RCAA/.658 OPS seasons, Zaun is hitting .403 SLG, .384 OBA, .787 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 92 games. He has a .718 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -38 RCAA in 671 games.
13) The BlueJays called up 1B Eric Crozier, SS Russ Adams, C Guillermo Quiroz P Ryan Glynn.
Glynn had a 6.42 ERA/-30 RSAA in 41 games with the 1999-2001 Rangers.
14) The Brewers traded P Dave Burba to the Giants for minor league P Josh Habel.
After 5.20 ERA/-5 RSAA and 3.53 ERA/4 RSAA seasons, Burba is off to a 4.08 ERA/3 RSAA start in his first 45 games. He has a 4.48 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.43, and -3 RSAA in 505 games.
15) Cubs P Kent Mercker and Astros P Dan Wheeler were suspended for 3 games and Astros manager Phil Garner was suspended for 1 game for an accident on August 27.
After 6.14 ERA/-5 RSAA and 1.95 ERA/14 RSAA seasons, Mercker is off to a 2.36 ERA/11 RSAA start in his first 59 games. He has a 4.19 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.23, and 22 RSAA in 551 games.
16) Today's Cubs-Marlins game was already postponed, due to Hurricane Frances and their entire 3 game series is in jeopardy.
17) The Diamondbacks called up OF Josh Kroeger.
18) Whitesox OF Carl Everett had to leave yesterday's game, due to a bruised thumb, and is day to day.
After -5 RCAA/.772 OPS and 24 RCAA/.876 OPS seasons, Everett is hitting .393 SLG, .322 OBA, .715 OPS, -11 RCAA in his first 78 games (first 39 with the Expos). He has a .820 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and 80 RCAA in 1174 games.
19) Giants 2B Ray Durham had to leave yesterday's game, due to a sprained right thumb.
After 15 RCAA/.825 OPS and 8 RCAA/.807 OPS seasons, Durham is hitting .457 SLG, .340 OBA, .798 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 95 games. He has a .785 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and 50 RCAA in 1405 games.
20) The BlueJays moved P Valerio de los Santos from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
21) The Devil Rays will call up P Franklin Nunez.
Nunez had a 1.42 ERA/2 RSAA in his first 3 career games.
22) The Astros called up INF Chris Burke.
Burke was 0 for 5, with -1 RCAA, in his first 3 career games.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see
<< Return to Article