Around the Majors: Yankees HR featsby Lee Sinins
August 29, 2004
1) Alex Rodriguez passed Mike Piazza and tied Carlton Fisk for 55th place on the all time HR list, with 376.
2) Yankees DH Ruben Sierra reached 300 career HR.
After -4 RCAA/.736 OPS and -4 RCAA/.748 OPS seasons, Sierra is hitting .490 SLG, .311 OBA, .800 OPS, 2 RCAA in his first 87 games. He has a .770 career OPS, compared to his league average of .746, and 38 RCAA in 2091 games.
3) Yankees 1B Tony Clark hit 3 HR in a game.
After -22 RCAA/.556 OPS and -4 RCAA/.772 OPS seasons, Clark is hitting .493 SLG, .316 OBA, .809 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 89 games. He has a .825 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 44 RCAA in 1076 games.
4) Redsox P Pedro Martinez moved into the top 20 on the career SO list.
After 2.26 ERA/47 RSAA and 2.22 ERA/53 RSAA seasons, Martinez is off to a 3.69 ERA/24 RSAA start in his first 27 starts. He has a 2.67 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.47, and 477 RSAA in 382 games.
The new top 20--
STRIKEOUTS 1 Nolan Ryan 5714 2 Roger Clemens 4271 3 Steve Carlton 4136 4 Randy Johnson 4098 5 Bert Blyleven 3701 6 Tom Seaver 3640 7 Don Sutton 3574 8 Gaylord Perry 3534 9 Walter Johnson 3509 10 Phil Niekro 3342 11 Ferguson Jenkins 3192 12 Bob Gibson 3117 13 Greg Maddux 2883 14 Jim Bunning 2855 15 Mickey Lolich 2832 16 Cy Young 2802 17 Frank Tanana 2773 18 Curt Schilling 2700 19 David Cone 2668 20 Pedro Martinez 2614
He ranks 7th vs. the league average--
STRIKEOUTS DIFF PLAYER LEAGUE 1 Nolan Ryan 2536 5714 3178 2 Randy Johnson 1788 4098 2310 3 Roger Clemens 1324 4271 2947 4 Walter Johnson 1191 3509 2318 5 Rube Waddell 1116 2316 1200 6 Dazzy Vance 1086 2045 959 7 Pedro Martinez 1003 2614 1611 8 Steve Carlton 981 4136 3155 9 Bob Feller 963 2581 1618 10 Sandy Koufax 958 2396 1438
5) The Mariners will be mathematically eliminated from winning the division title if (1) they lose to the Royals and (2) at least one of the A's, Angels or Rangers win.
6) The Royals clinched a losing record for the 9th time in the past 10 years. 2003 was the only exception.
7) The Whitesox moved into a virtual tie, with the Indians, for 2nd place in the AL Central. The Indians lead in PCT.
8) The Padres moved into a virtual tie, with the Giants, for 2nd place in the NL West. The Padres lead in PCT.
9) Yankees RF Gary Sheffield had to leave yesterday's game, due to a sprained ankle. X-rays were negative and manager Joe Torre says he expects Sheffield to miss some time.
After 36 RCAA/.916 OPS and 72 RCAA/1.023 OPS seasons, Sheffield is hitting .561 SLG, .408 OBA, .969 OPS, 41 RCAA in his first 125 games. He has a .931 career OPS, compared to his league average of .758, and 606 RCA in 2007 games.
10) The Brewers activated 3B Keith Ginter from the DL and sent INF Trent Durrington to the minors.
After a 1 RCAA/.779 OPS season in 2003, Ginter's hitting .425 SLG, .318 OBA, .743 OPS, -8 RCAA in his first 82 games. He has a .764 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -5 RCAA in 243 games.
Durrington has -20 RCAA/.519 OPS in 100 career games, including a .431 SLG, .290 OBA, .721 OPS, -2 RCAA in 41 games in 2004.
11) The Cardinals placed P Steve Kline on the 15 day DL and called up P Randy Flores.
Kline has a groin injury. After 3.39 ERA/3 RSAA and 3.82 ERA/2 RSAA seasons, he is off to a 1.86 ERA/13 RSAA start in his first 63 games. Kline has a 3.31 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and 56 RSAA in 585 games.
Flores had a 7.45 ERA/-8 RSAA in 28 games with the 2002 Rangers and Rockies.
12) The Giants called up P Brad Hennessey and sent P David Aardsma to the minors.
Hennessey has a 4.60 ERA/0 RSAA in his first 3 career starts.
Aardsma has a 6.75 ERA/-3 RSAA in his first 11 career games.
13) Astros 3B Morgan Ensberg had to leave Friday's game and missed yesterday's game, due to back spasms. He's day to day.
After a 20 RCAA/.908 OPS season in his first year as a starter, Ensberg is off to a .403 SLG, .329 OBA, .732 OPS, -10 RCAA start in his first 112 games. He has a .808 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and 6 RCAA in 292 games.
14) The Mariners placed P Clint Nageotte on the 15 day DL and called up P Cha Seung Baek.
Nageotte suffered a lower back strain yesterday. He has a 7.36 ERA/-12 RSAA in his first 12 career games (5 starts).
Baek has 3 shutout IP in his first 2 career games.
15) Phillies GM Ed Wade says manager Larry Bowa will finish the 2004 season, but is silent about 2005.
16) The Cubs placed P Kyle Farnsworth on the 15 day DL and called up P Todd Wellemeyer.
Farnsworth sprained and bruised his right knee while kicking an electric fan. After 7.33 ERA/-17 RSAA and 3.30 ERA/8 RSAA seasons, he is off to a 5.12 ERA/-5 RSAA start in his first 65 games. He has a 4.83 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.42, and -23 RSAA in 336 games.
Wellemeyer has a 4.95 ERA/-3 RSAA in 27 career games, including a 2.25 ERA/4 RSAA in 12 games in 2004.
17) According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the Dodgers are interested in Pirates C Jason Kendall, but it's more likely that they'd make a trade for him during the offseason.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
<< Return to Article