Around the Majors: Yankees take 1-0 leadby Lee Sinins
October 12, 2004
1) Yesterday's score--
Yankees 10, Redsox 7 (Yankees lead series, 1-0)
2) Today's schedule--
Redsox (Pedro Martinez, 3.90) at Yankees (Jon Lieber, 4.33), 8:15
Astros (Brandon Backe, 4.30) at Cardinals (Woody Williams, 4.18), 8:15
3) Yesterday's HRs--
4) Giants LF Barry Bonds had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee and is expected to be ready for spring training.
After 161 RCAA/1.381 OPS and 115 RCAA/1.278 OPS seasons, Bonds hit .812 SLG, .609 OBA, 1.422 OPS, 152 RCAA in 147 games. He has a 1.053 career OPS, compared to his league average of .750, and 1496 RCAA in 2716 games.
5) The Reds announced they won't exercise SS Barry Larkin's option.
After -27 RCAA/.672 OPS and -3 RCAA/.726 OPS seasons, Larkin hit .419 SLG, .352 OBA, .771 OPS, 0 RCAA in 111 games. He has a .815 career OPS, compared to his league average of .751, and 271 RCAA in 2180 games.
6) The Indians announced they will decline their $5 million option on SS Omar Vizquel.
After 2 RCAA/.759 OPS and -10 RCAA/.657 OPS seasons, Vizquel had a .388 SLG, .353 OBA, .741 OPS, -3 RCAA in 148 games. He has a .699 career OPS, compared to his league average of .761, and -148 RCAA in 2138 games.
7) Brewers P Ben Sheets had surgery on a herniated disc in his lower back and is expected to be ready for spring training.
After 4.15 ERA/-4 RSAA and 4.45 ERA/-1 RSAA seasons, Sheets's first year with a positive RSAA was a huge one, with a 2.70 ERA/45 RSAA in 34 starts. He has a 3.92 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.26, and 34 RSAA in 127 games.
8) The Reds removed Ps Mike Matthews and Aaron Myette from the 40 man roster and they became free agents when they refused assignments to the minors.
After 3.94 ERA/0 RSAA and 4.45 ERA/-4 RSAA seasons, Matthews had a 6.30 ERA/-8 RSAA in 35 games. He has a 4.41 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.30, and -8 RSAA in 224 games.
Myette has a 8.16 ERA/-60 RSAA in 47 career games, including a 8.31 ERA/-2 RSAA in 5 games in 2004.
9) The Pirates released P Nelson Figueroa.
Figueroa has a 4.65 ERA/-14 RSAA in 74 career games, including a 5.72 ERA/-5 RSAA in 10 games (3 starts) in 2004.
10) The Indians removed P Joe Dawley from the 40 man roster.
Dawley has a 10.91 ERA/-12 RSAA in 8 career games, including a 5.40 ERA/-1 RSAA in 2 starts in 2004.
11) The Rangers removed P Mickey Callaway from the 40 man roster.
Callaway has a 6.27 ERA/-27 RSAA in 40 career games, including a 7.94 ERA/-4 RSAA in 3 starts (4 games) in 2004.
12) The Expos released P Dan Smith.
Smith, who spent the 2004 season on the DL, has a 5.23 ERA/-10 RSAA in 87 career games.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and come out in October. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded and could include a free copy of the current edition. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
<< Return to Article