General manager John Mozeliak said he believes it is a “significant injury” and the early word is “not encouraging.”
This isn’t the first time Wainwright has had elbow problems, this story has threads reaching back to 2004. Still, this is a shocking piece of bad news for a club that had a shot at contending against the Reds and Brewers.
The impacts are numerous, including:
- Wainwright’s 2010 Cy Young votes earned him a vesting option … almost. He has to be off the DL at the end of 2011 for the 2012 option to kick-in.
- Does this mean the Cardinals have additional payroll flexibility that could be leveraged for Albert Pujols?
- The Cardinals just lost a pitcher who is generally projected to post a WAR around 5, those are some expensive wins for a team hoping to contend.
- Kevin Millwood may suddenly find himself employed.
- Chris Carpenter‘s fragile right-arm is now carrying a lot of weight
Shelving one of the best pitchers in baseball doesn’t just hurt St. Louis, but all us who enjoy watching quality pitching. And epic curveballs.